number." Where would that be on
my 1978 Catalina 30? I'm 1000
miles away from the boat and may
not get up there 'til after the reg
fee is due. I don't have the number
in any of my paperwork.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
They probably want your HIN. I got a RIBfrom Canada they didn't like some character in the HIN and gave me a made up number.

Is the boat accessible so if some has access to your marina we could snap a pic and send it to you. It's usually on the top rear of the transom

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jong,
I have the number (called the boats "IMO OR OTHER NUMBER") on my CG documentation. Also on my Insurance binder called the "Hull ID".
Good Luck

Feb 15, 2014
Catalina 30 Bremerton, WA
Yeah, I'm getting someone to get a picture
of it. I just have to tell them where it is. If
I recall from when I last cleaned the boat,
it's in the upper (right or left?) corner of
the outside of the transom. They wouldn't
give me a made up number and it's not the
HIN that they have and that I've paid the
fees on for the past 3 years. Thanks for
the responses.

Feb 15, 2014
Well, I talked with two different offices
of the licensing department. One said
the other could solve the issue but the
other said, "nope, it's not possible without
the number." Their policy has changed and
you can't just use the numbers they already
have. I've registered the boat for the past
three years and they have all my identifying
info except that number which must now
be provided, no exceptions.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I feel for your challenge. You know I think the marina might have that number in the documents I had to file. Have you tried them?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Wow! Boat registrations are due this month..I'm going to walk in with a WN number by memory and a checkbook. Has worked for last 5 yrs....

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I've always done mine online. I get a reminder from the state when it's due and have the tabs mailed to me from the Seattle office.

May 20, 2016
I already have my bright orange squares. I'm waiting for a nice day so I can scrape the existing stack to something manageable. Right now I think I can use them as another mast step!!

Les

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...It is questionable if you have your personal information that the dmv office can not resolve your renewal....
When I registered my dinghy with the MD DNR, I never got a title in the mail. Went in again, and they said, well maybe someone else in the household got it- except that I live alone. I asked for another title and they said they'd mail it to me. I said, no, we've already been that route- I want it NOW. It was printed out NOW. In the years since, I have never received a renewal in the mail. and hey can't figure out why. Fortunately the DNR is near Bacons, so it's never a wasted trip :dancing:

Feb 15, 2014
I just got a letter saying I cannot register
unless I go into a licensing office because I don't
have the right kind of hull number on my
paperwork. Still trying to get someone to
go to my boat and get a picture of the hull number.
I tried to post a picture of the letter, but can't
figger it out.

Feb 15, 2014
I've had someone go to the boat and look
for the 12 digit number all over the place, but
they couldn't find any such. Now I had my
sister go to the Dept of Licensing and she said
they told her:
"You need two more things. 1) a photo or rubbing of the affixed HIN and 2) a printed form, "Release of Interest/Power of Attorney", notarized to let me act as power of attorney to sign in your name."

Well, since there is no "affixed HIN" except for the 7 digit one that
I've registered under "CAT1049" which is on the riveted plate at
the back of the cockpit, what do I do now?

I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
..."You need two more things. 1) a photo or rubbing of the affixed HIN ...Well, since there is no "affixed HIN" except for the 7 digit one that I've registered under "CAT1049" which is on the riveted plate at the back of the cockpit, what do I do now?....
Take Cat1049, add in the dates you know for a 12-digit # in the proper format.

May 20, 2016
They have been required since 1972 and the requirement is for two of them to be on the boat. One is Hidden the other as described below. On both my Catalina's it was on the starboard stern up next to the rub rail. It is white on white so use your fingers to find it. Otherwise call Catalina and explain your situation and the might tell you where to find the hidden one.

Good luck
Les
The boat manufacturer must display two identical hull identification numbers, no less than one-fourth of an inch high, on each boat hull. The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to the transom, the HIN must be affixed to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of hull side, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. The starboard outboard side of the hull aft is the preferred HIN location for many manufacturers.