Wanted : A Hunter 23.5 good used mast

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
Side stay broke, mast fell down, tore and split the bottom three inches of the mast and broke the starboard spreader off the mast. Is there a repair boot kit available for the bottom of the mast? Who made the mast in 1993 ? Are spreaders and stays and related hardware available ?

Thanks in advance ! Mike

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I broke my spreader bracket this summer and fixed it . This site (SBO) has the parts you need. I posted pics last week if you want to see the process.

As far as the bottom goes.... you probably had a few inches at the top of the mast when the sail was fully hoisted and you could lower your gooseneck an inch... so cut the bottom of the mast with a hack saw, and rivet the foot back in place. I’ve done all of these things before and can talk you through it. PM me if you want to go tha route

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Mike in Cape Cod
Z Spar now US Spars made the mast.
If you have to cut the mast several things to encounter. First standing rigging has to be either shortened or replaced. Second the boom will be lowered with less head room and Bimini being affected. Jib being lowered and possibly interfered by lifelines. In addition do you have insurance to cover this loss? Food for thought

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
@Mike in Cape Cod
Z Spar now US Spars made the mast.
If you have to cut the mast several things to encounter. First standing rigging has to be either shortened or replaced. Second the boom will be lowered with less head room and Bimini being affected. Jib being lowered and possibly interfered by lifelines. In addition do you have insurance to cover this loss? Food for thought
Thanks Dave for the info. The boat was insured by Boats US for liability only.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mike

A good welder should be able to either repair or splice the bottom of your mast... The bottom needs to be strong and able to fit into the mast foot but the slots don't need to be proper..and the spreader bracket is easy to fix. Here is the fix I made just last week.
IMG_0910.jpg
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg

This does not have to cost a fortune. The spreader bracket was about $100 (I don't remember exactly). And I've had welders fix stuff for me in the past. Recently I needed my swim ladder fixed. Cost me $98 and that was stainless. Aluminum is easier.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As long as you have a good experienced aluminum welder. I would leave the decision up to the owner. If a mast is damaged the structural integrity has been jeopardized and to replace or repair I always erred on the side of safety and will leave it at that