Volvo builds a self-docking yacht...

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
What could go wrong? Certainly couldn't be any worse than some of those megayacht parking fail videos......hold my beer, no wait a minute give it back...

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Takes out all the stress. Right!
And replaces it with the stress of the "Epic Fail".

Going to be a little tougher in Monaco on race weekend I suspect.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Those "docks".
How would they tie off the stem? Is an anchor deployed?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Notice the number of fenders on the neighboring boats? Hehe... guess they do not want their paint scratched!
There sure would be a lot of variables to consider! I would hate to have a building or other structure blocking my gps reception.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
"It's about taking out the stress"=It removes the need to have a clue what you are doing, so we can sell more boats to idiots. Based on our estimates there are more idiots than competent individuals. This will help our balance sheet.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you've ever med-moored you'd understand why this is a great idea if they can get it fully sorted. Backing a big boat into a spot between two other big boats that is 3 feet wider than your beam while a crosswind is blowing gets your FULL attention, no matter how many times you've done it.

Re securing the bow, many harbors will have permanent bow lines attached to 'slime lines' that you pull up and attach to the bow. Otherwise you drop anchor, more of a hassle and can cause heartburn when chains get overlaid.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@dlochner Sensors, twin props, thrusters, and computers, I can see the SBO members running right out and reconfiguring their 25 to 45 ft something sailing boats to get this feature. I can just imagine the docking questions.

Do you fix the arrival drink before or after you switch the autodock on? does it matter?

Then the only dock we will be using is the stern tie system qualified docks at major participating facilities. I can just see the rush of the marina's to be one of the first adopters.

I think I'll be one of the last adopters.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@dlochner Sensors, twin props, thrusters, and computers, I can see the SBO members running right out and reconfiguring their 25 to 45 ft something sailing boats to get this feature. I can just imagine the docking questions.

Do you fix the arrival drink before or after you switch the autodock on? does it matter?

Then the only dock we will be using is the stern tie system qualified docks at major participating facilities. I can just see the rush of the marina's to be one of the first adopters.

I think I'll be one of the last adopters.
Its not for everyone clearly. With a 30-35 footer that gets pulled into a slip, of course no need.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If you've ever med-moored you'd understand why this is a great idea if they can get it fully sorted. Backing a big boat into a spot between two other big boats that is 3 feet wider than your beam while a crosswind is blowing gets your FULL attention, no matter how many times you've done it.
Agreed. For med moor with large yachts it will definitely help. I used to pooh pooh bow thrusters, on reasonable sized yachts, but some places are so tightly packed now.
It can be very entertaining when super yachts back in with a crosswind. I see that as the ultimate market for this tech. Even professional crew have problems when you have all that windage and mass to deal with.

I do hope it never gets into the "normal" market. Like auto parking cars, IMO, it' just another way to make it easy to avoid learning.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I have backed in twin screw sportfishing yachts with Tuna towers. The things sail in a wind. This was before bow thrusters, so things were not as easy. You let the wind play its part in the drama. You align yourself upwind of the slip in a crosswind and wait.

In our marina, the fairways are narrow, and with prop-walk and a crosswind, it can be impossible to back out and turn into the wind within the width alotted.
For this reason, I installed a linear actuator on my outboard. I get directional thrust with the press of a rocker switch.