VHF radio nostalgia.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
still curious, any one know what the pink birds on ton's nav screen photo represents?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
The principle purpose for VHF on most of our boats is to hear these friendly words every Wednesday ... "Bay City Racers, this is the Race Committee on-station. The course tonight will be ... and the starting sequence will begin at 19:05". It makes my blood rush just to type the words!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
still curious, any one know what the pink birds on ton's nav screen photo represents?
Navionics shows a similar area near us. In our case it's a "Restricted area - Unknown, nature reserve: Mid-Atlantic (MA) Regulated Mesh Area". It looks like it's basically an area where the use of some types of fish nets are restricted.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The "in general" is the key. Like, "in general", if you have a fixed mount radio but would not be able to hear it in the cockpit anyway, "in general" it would do nothing but wear down the battery. Generally speaking, of course.
"In general" is just referring to the general summary of 47 CFR 80.310 for voluntary vessels.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
That's 47 C.F.R. § 80.310. One cannot forget to include element A. Otherwise it is a sin approaching that of saying 'amps per hour.'

Charles

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Navionics shows a similar area near us. In our case it's a "Restricted area - Unknown, nature reserve: Mid-Atlantic (MA) Regulated Mesh Area". It looks like it's basically an area where the use of some types of fish nets are restricted.
That makes me think, it could be because Penobscot Bay is a No Discharge, zone?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The little birds icons let you know that the area is an environmentally sensitive area, so check your NTMs for further info. So yes, there would be birds in a NDZ. Round here that means no discharge not even from those ElectricSan heads.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
That's 47 C.F.R. § 80.310. One cannot forget to include element A. Otherwise it is a sin approaching that of saying 'amps per hour.'

Charles
Guilty as charged, and if you can tell me how to make a section mark on an iPhone.....

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I thought those were gulls setting on the water. I frequently mistake them for lobster floats. :)

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
. . . if you can tell me how to make a section mark on an iPhone.....
Sure - hold down the ampersand key. Just do not confuse this with 'ampersands per hour.'

Hope this helps - bye for now

Charles

Last edited:

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
The "in general" is the key. Like, "in general", if you have a fixed mount radio but would not be able to hear it in the cockpit anyway, "in general" it would do nothing but wear down the battery. Generally speaking, of course.
I turn it on, I leave it on 16, but I have the squelch turned up, as well as the volume... if someone is close enough, with a strong enough signal to break squelch, I pay attention.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
As an aside to some of the conversation, but keeping with the thread... maintaining the marine VHF radio on the bridge was one of my duties when I was in the Navy. I had to turn on and test the radio before entering any port... without me, we did not enter ports. GRIN.

It wasn't that big of a deal, but there were two switches that had to be turned on... and inevitably one of them would have been turned off... unusually the one on the power panel that also controlled the mast lighting... the bos'n mates that manned the wheel tended to just turn off all the breakers on that panel without reading the labels on them. So my job was to go to the bridge, and make sure that damn switch was turned on before we arrived at port.

The other issue was that some of the officers on the bridge tended to put the handset into their back pocket and walk away from the radio, which inevitably would either rip their pocket, or rip the handset cord. I kept a spare handset ready.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Good post, I monitor weather on my goldwing for my cross country trips and find sitting in the boat listening to it fun.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
"Watchkeeping Regulations:
In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.

Source: FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310, NTIA Manual 8.2.29.6.c(2)(e), ITU RR 31.18, 52.244"
Unless you are in the Gulf ICW, between Galveston and New Orleans- then you best be on 13, cause they do not use 16 between those two points. ALL traffic is on 13 Busiest section of the entire ICW, Port Isabel,, to Norfolk

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Unless you are in the Gulf ICW, between Galveston and New Orleans- then you best be on 13, cause they do not use 16 between those two points. ALL traffic is on 13 Busiest section of the entire ICW, Port Isabel,, to Norfolk
When I'm in areas like that I use tri-watch 9,13, 16 scanning

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I fondly remember listening to the notice to mariners each morning with my dad when I was a kid. I guess that still could be done, but like you said, with the internet and cell phones there's really no reason to schedule around the CG's broadcast patterns anymore.

Oh, and if you both have iPhones, just use "find my friends" to share your location. Sending screenshots of maps is so archaic. ;)
Just spent 5 months going up and down the west coast ( Victoria to Alaska and back ). Phoned my mom on all 5 days we had cell coverage. Not a reliable Nav. aid out here.