VHF mounting

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I know everyone has their preferences, but would like to know where you mounted your vhf radio. I've never had one and really never felt the need for one as I am a small lake sailor, but I recently came across a deal on a West Marine 580 (Uniden 415) that was too good to pass up. I removed the wooden panel that covers the keel winch as I like it better removed and there is some very usable wasted space beind it. I'm thinking about mounting my radio right under the companionway threshold on the port side of the winch. I will fit perfectly in that space and should be well protected there. Any reason I shouldn't mount it there? I'm open to other suggestions as long as the mounting isn't too obtrusive.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Mount it so you can use it without going below... like just inside the companionway. You want to be able to talk and steer at the same time.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Lower left in the pic. It came that way, never seen a reason to move it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Your mounting location sounds fine. If the unit supports an external speaker that would be a good ad in the cockpit.

I know you’ve already bought your radio, but for other small boat sailors that sail small lakes, often the handheld VHF provides better utility. The ability to move around in the cockpit and use it while you’re driving is an added plus. The big benefit of a fixed radio and fixed antenna is often it’s range, but that advantage is meaningless on a small lake. The units often cost about the same as adding a ram mic to a fixed radio (if even available) so the portable solution ends up being a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I've owned a few Unidens over the years, mostly purchased due to price. The sound quality has never been that great on them. Standards generally sound better than Unidens. Icoms often sound better than Standards. Until I see a reason to do differently, everything I buy from now on, is coming from Icom. The Unidens did get me by.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Thanks for the input. I've never seen one mounted in this spot on a C22 before and just wanted to make sure no one saw any issues with it that I'm not thinking about. Like I said I don't really need one ( been sailing the same lake for nearly 30 years and haven't needed one yet ), I just bought it on a whim because it was a whopping $65 NIB. I know that a handheld would be adequate for my purposes , but I don't really want one, mainly because it's just another thing to store and keep batteries in . With my luck the one time I do end up needing it, it would be stashed away not easily accessible with dead batteries. I expect that my main usage will be monitoring NOAA broadcasts, but many other sailors at our lake have radios and the county lake patrol monitors VHF, so it should be useful in an emergency situation .

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
LOL ... you sound as if you're making excuses to justify installing a VHF which you got for a steal! :)

You're making me think about an excuse to replace my own ancient fixed VHF. It does work, and I do carry a modern handheld, but ... but ... it's OLD! Probably top shelf in its day though, it is Japanese after all ...

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Yep, that dinasour has got to go! LOL. You are starting to sound like my wife when I tried to tell her all the benefits of having one.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I put mine on the portside shelf in my 83 just at the dinette aft seat. Easy to lead antenna forward along back of shelf and power back and down to battery. But got sporty and decided to buy the command mike set when I got it on sale for 80 bucks. See pix and will post the installation as separate post on my Commissioning tasks on 83 thread too.
vhf radio install (11).jpg
20170802_150555.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I've never had one and really never felt the need for one as I am a small lake sailor, but ....
Most people don't need one until they REALLY need one in which case it's probably better put in the cockpit where you will be in an emergency.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I put mine on the portside shelf in my 83 just at the dinette aft seat. Easy to lead antenna forward along back of shelf and power back and down to battery. But got sporty and decided to buy the command mike set when I got it on sale for 80 bucks. See pix and will post the installation as separate post on my Commissioning tasks on 83 thread too.View attachment 149095 View attachment 149096
Ohh that mounting position for the remote mic will unlikely last the first season. Its going to get knocked/kicked/busted off some day in big wind or a wild maneuver. I'd mount it someplace safer from harm and people moving around.

Sep 14, 2014
Been there for about 18 months through wind and storm, plug is inside the cockpit pocket only clip is exposed so no danger. Sure is nice to pick up mike while tending sheets and tiller as i single hand almost all the time.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Well my ebay seller burned me on the radio. He took my payment, marked it as shipped and even provided a tracking number, just like I expect from a good ebay seller. Unfortunately the package never showed up and when I tracked it I discovered that it had never actually shipped at all. Went to my purchased items page to contact the seller and discovered that the transaction was gone, as if I had never purchased it at all. Luckily I still had the order confirmation email so I was able to link back to the purchase that way where I discovered that he cancelled the sale the same day I bought it, right after providing the shipping info, and then marked it as payment refunded. When I contacted him to find out what was going on he claimed that he cancelled my purchase because he got the flu. WTF!!! I asked him to just ship it when he felt better and he said that he couldn't do that because he had already marked it as refunded but he would relist it in a couple of weeks and I could repurchase it then. NO WAY JOSE! First of all, I no longer trust you, and secondly, you never actually refunded me (it had already been over a week at this point and nothing was even pending with paypal). Another week goes by and I get a message from someone claiming to be his wife and she says he is in the hospital and will be closing his ebay store. It took several more messages and several more days, but I finally got refunded. In looking back through his seller feedback I found that he pulled the same scam on someone else, with the same flu excuse two weeks prior to my purchase.

Anyway, now that my rant is over, I ended up buying another radio from Amazon and it was in my hands the next day. I was able to install it just where I had planned and I think it will work out well there. It's handy, yet out of the way. As you can see, the winch handle has plenty of clearance too. Now I just need to buy a NMEA output cable for my sonar/chartplotter and obtain my MMSI number and I will be in business.
IMG_1972[1].JPG
IMG_1973[1].JPG

Sep 14, 2014
Just a note the radio I bought has a built in GPS so no connect was needed and I use a hand held GPS for piloting anyway. But this way I have a audible radio right near me, and speed and course over ground readout as a bonus. Get that MMsi done though or the red button is pretty much just cosmetic.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Looks like the dimensions were made for the purpose. Just enough room, and looks like the mic and radio won't get stomped when going in and out of the cabin. :D