Registered users don't see ads

Vertically Adjusting Mast Step

Discussion in 'Trailer Sailors' started by LeeandRick, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:07 AM. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    289 posts, 71 likes
    Oday 23
    US Lake Havasu
    Maybe I should change my screen name to "AnotherCrazyThought" but you folks gave me a lot of food for thought on my trailer so here goes. In my quest to make a very large trailerable boat (S2 8.0C), as easy and fast to setup as possible, how about a mast step that could be reduced in height to slack the rig tension. This would allow pulling head stay and forward lower pins without adjusting the turnbuckles. I've thought about quick release levers but it is difficult to get one under a roller furling drum so the drum is close to the deck. I'm planning to build a new short tabernacle style mast step that pivots on the same axis with the side stays, to eliminate loosening those turnbuckles, so I could fab other ideas into this project. The ultimate compression load is around 3000lbs before something else breaks. Working load is about 1000 lbs. I already know it's lunacy :banghead: to change something that sorta works so any constructive ideas will be appreciated.:)

2. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    928 posts, 47 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Reedsburg WI Cheeseland
    Are you using a gin pole?

I don't know your boat but I never ease the tension on the shrouds
    or unpin them when lowering the mast for trailering.
    The only thing that is disconnected is the for-stay.
    All other running lines are slacked and the whole mess pushed forward
    to the pulpit and everything tied up to the mast.
    I don't neaten anything, it stays as it fell.
    I have found that this is the quickest method for raising and lowering
    even if it is not the nicest looking on the trailer.

ymmv

jwilcoxon78 likes this.
  3. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    289 posts, 71 likes
    Oday 23
    US Lake Havasu
    I have parallel side stays with fore and aft lowers. Swept spreader and side stays like you have is much easier. I do use a gin pole since I single hand mast raising/lowering. If I could lower the mast forward I could eliminate one of my issues (furler drum height) but my truck camper does not allow going forward.

4. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,753 posts, 1,463 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Race boats do this all the time; it makes the pre-race adjustment of rig tension an all-in-one snap. On simple boats (like this Rocket 22) its a screw jack. It easily supports the rig pressure, and would for your boat as well. Ifs its worth the time and effort; your call.

picrocket22100h.jpg

LloydB likes this.
  5. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    289 posts, 71 likes
    Oday 23
    US Lake Havasu
    Time and effort is what I have in abundance being retired Jack. I've raced on a boat or two with this setup but the mast was keel stepped and or went through partners of some sort. If I can figure a way to do this in the confines of a mast step/tabernacle setup and make it quick to adjust, it would solve the issue. Using an open end wrench in a box making 1/6 of a turn each pull would be slow. Thanks for the picture and input Jack.

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.