Registered users don't see ads

V-Birth

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by john6206, Sep 4, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. john6206

john6206

Joined Feb 19, 2008
    45 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 18
    US Ann Arbor, MI ann arbor
    Hi All -
    I've owned my Capri 18 for about a month now, and haven't sailed it yet. I have a couple more projects to go and it should be ready for a spring launch.

I'm surprised that I don't see anything in the "owner modifications" section for this boat. It seems like unless I'm sailing with a 4 year old or a dog, the v-birth is too small. I have thought about getting rid of the cushions and building cabinets or shelves in that space. I'd want to leave some space for duffle bags and other gear, but as a birth it's kind of silly.

Thoughts?

2. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    1,480 posts, 60 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westborough Westport, MA
    berth

3. Siamese

Siamese

Joined Aug 2, 2009
    371 posts, 61 likes
    Catalina 28MKII
    US Muskegon
    Unless you're doing something really weird up there.

4. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    1,915 posts, 438 likes
    Catalina 22, Albin Vega 27
    US central Florida
    Agree 100%. The V berth is too small for adults on a C22 also. Plus it covers the potty. We pulled the cushions out and we use the area for stowage just like you're thinking (although I haven't felt the need to build shelves yet).

5. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,100 posts, 178 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    You mean "the garage"?

6. john6206

john6206

Joined Feb 19, 2008
    45 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 18
    US Ann Arbor, MI ann arbor
    Gee, thanks for the spelling lesson.

7. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    1,480 posts, 60 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westborough Westport, MA
    You're welcome!

8. canoe_cg

canoe_cg

Joined Aug 5, 2014
    3 posts, 8 likes
    Catalina Capri-18
    US Newport, WA Bayview, ID
    We use our v-berth to hold some of your sailing gear and other stuff; i.e. spinnaker, rain gear, overnight bag, line, and at times our granddaughter. Our granddaughter loves to go sail camping with us as much as she can, and she still fits at age eleven. We manage her in the v-berth by doubling blankets up over the center cushion and keep her feet forward.
    upload_2017-9-18_8-3-33.png

It is true that the Catalina Capri 18 v-berth is small, but that is okay. This boat is small and compact, just the size we want for our greatest fun in sailing. Have fun sailing this next spring. Here is a little video that I put together of my sailing adventure with a friend and his sons last weekend… This is really a nice boat.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 8:23 AM

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.