using an extra line on your boat while racing

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
I am curious about the rules both formal and informal about using an extra line (with no additional hardware) while racing. As example if you were racing a one design that had no traveler...and a crew member doubled an extra dock line over the end of the boom - pulling by hand...in an attempt to pull it more to center...would this be illegal or frowned on? Thank you.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
There are some Class rules (e.g., J/105's, for example) that don't allow a Barber Hauler or any additional lines on a sail that you'd think as good practice. In some cases no-big-deal. Unless you're racing in a strict Class, usually it's more open to allow for adjustments.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
There are some Class rules (e.g., J/105's, for example) that don't allow a Barber Hauler or any additional lines on a sail that you'd think as good practice. In some cases no-big-deal. Unless you're racing in a strict Class, usually it's more open to allow for adjustments.
Interesting. If there was a rule against a Barber Hauler I wonder if it would make a difference if it was a fixed piece of equipment vs a hand held line such as Lance suggested.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
It does make a difference Richard. The CLASS rules are generally aimed at reducing the variables except for the crew. You can't simply rig a line and create a barber hauler.

In the case of the J/105's for example, it says when you can and can't have your sprit pole extended when approaching a windward mark. It covers actions as well as equipment in an attempt to "level the game" to sailors and not equipment.

Of course, depending on the specific Class rules, they allow a variety of differences in lines, blocks, sail materials, etc. Sometimes, (e.g. J/105, which I used because I looked it up earlier today) they are prescriptive on the maximum weight of the cloth/unit of area of the sail in the spinnakers. They don't specify the stretch (i.e., nylon, vs. polyester vs. high-tech cloth)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I am curious about the rules both formal and informal about using an extra line (with no additional hardware) while racing. As example if you were racing a one design that had no traveler...and a crew member doubled an extra dock line over the end of the boom - pulling by hand...in an attempt to pull it more to center...would this be illegal or frowned on? Thank you.
If you start winning races because of any kind of modification not addressed in the class rules book.... I guarantee someone will protest. I can remember all the hoopla about Laser sailors creating quasi cunninghams by creatively using the excess downhaul control line.
However, if your performance isn't threatening to the top sailors..... you could probably install foils and an outboard without anyone complaining.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This is almost 100% time going to be illegal. Almost every One Design (it IS One Design!) rule-set has a clear paragraph near that top that reads like this.

The Beneteau First 36.7 Class Rules shall be interpreted such that Owners participating in one design racing make the
assumption that no modifications are allowed unless they have been specifically approved by these rules, or by a direct
ruling from the First 36.7 Class’ Technical Committee. This means that any changes or modifications from a standard
Beneteau First 36.7 would have to be specifically allowed within these rules to be considered legal. The penalty for
participating in Class one design events with a boat that had knowingly made modifications outside of those allowed
within these rules could be disqualification from those or any First 36.7 Class one design events.

That's the deal. Unless the One Design rules says you can, you can't.

Now, some very permissive 'One Design' classes will allow changes, mostly in the interest of getting more boats in. I'm thinking like the Capri 25 fleet. But this is rare, and then the boat is not really One Design.

But really, you need to read the class rules.