USCG Emergency Response-great

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Yesterday I listened on Channel 16 to the Mobile Alabama USCG, handling a "Collapsed Man on Board" response. Although I could not hear the voice of the vessel, I did get their DSC distress ALERT and MMSI number.

The USCG did great!!!:clap:

The victim was unconscious, but alive when the USCG "Asset" arrived and rescued.
He was on a 100' working shrimp boat of the "Forrest Gump's Infamy" harbor of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayou_La_Batre,_Alabama

USCG did...
1) ID the emergency situation
2) Position and boat description.
3) Crew Adult/Children count.
4) Victim status.. pulse, eye dilation response, etc.
5) CPR administation instructions
6) A well timed multi-speed and position to vector a response "asset" to intercept the vessel.
7) Gave them calm and ETA of the "asset".
8) Later a final call on 16 to tell all bystanders, the termination of distress and positive outcome.:waycool:

My Curiosity...

They asked the Captain (BTW the USCG addressed the caller as CAPTAIN the entire time, size of vessel still unknown), if he had pressed his "SOS" button.:confused:
My Icom M504 FM with DSC and registered MMSI# went into ALARM mode that neighboring boats could have heard. My alarm went off within 2 minutes of the call, gave me their MMSI number (which I later ID'd as the correct boat on-line, I now know the Icom ID's it too on the hand held display:)).

I suspect USCG wanted to make "Double" sure there was just a single incident.

But...
I thought MMSI was a USCG database.

Well Done USCG!!
Jim...

PS: The boat Captain did well also but you could tell the USCG operator had to gently calm him.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yeah, these guys are pros. And most of the time all we hear of them is "Channel 16 is for hailing and distress calls only..."

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Cool story... and really makes you appreciate the value of MMSI etc.

Thanks for sharing....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
One of my favorite anchorages houses the CG SF Gate station. Great folks. I listen to CH16 when on the hook and have observed and listened into their work for many, many years. Now if Bubba and his ilk could only stop doing radio checks on 16!!!:yikes:

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yeah, right when Bubba is asking for a radio check, someone calls Mayday. Then Bubba asks the station calling Mayday for a radio check.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My fave "rescue" was watching a USCG helo , nose pointing 90 degrees to travel path, pacing (at about ten knots) a brand new Italian super yacht while they lowered a gasoline pump down into the rear deck of the yacht. I was impressed by the flying and calmness of the situation. Yacht was taking on water in the Gulf ICW and in danger of sinking. Yacht made it to the yard in New Orleans.. We were a quarter mile behind them in a big Hatteras watching the show of professionalism. The USCG guys earned their bucks that day !

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Bubba and his ilk could only stop doing radio checks on 16!!!:yikes:
I just heard an Ilk ask for a radio check on 16. Silence... I was about to tell him to go to Ch 10. When , with Insistent Voice said "Gulfport Coast Guard radio check!":badbad:.
Another pause... USCG responded with a reluctant and "oh boy:angry:" voice... "Loud and Clear."
The Ilk responded "I needed to safety check my radio before leaving harbor:angry:"
Such is life...
Jim...

PS: BTW 7knt beam reach, 75°F , clear skies, deep Oxygen filled air, 1' seas.... soon at anchor at sunset for a grilled steak and cold beer!