Trailer suggestions?

Aug 23, 2018
Clipper Marine 26 Norfolk
Trying to figure out how to trailer a Clipper Marine 26. Any ideas for a novice?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Since the boat is a swing keel I would start looking at other boats and trailers that are swing keel boats. The most popular in that size is probably the Catalina 25. The boat has to be supported from the hull, unlike keel boats where much of the weight is sitting on the keel rest. A swing keel boat requires more area in the pads or bunks (more total well fitting area) than a similar sized keel boat. You would still need a place to lower the keel on to to relieve some keel weight. Welcome to the forum.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Trying to figure out how to trailer a Clipper Marine 26. Any ideas for a novice?
Welcome to the SBO forum. The Clippers look like nice boats. Be sure to get a quality trailer. As the owner of a trailersailer, I really appreciate the benefits of being able to haul out without paying a marina for their lift and to be able to put in on lakes or ocean at will. Take advantage of your boat's trailerability.

It looks like a trailer for a macgregor 26 might fit. The macgregor is a slight bit narrow, but not by much.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 23, 2018
I found a 22’ Venture trailer that holds 5,000 lbs. I know it will hang off the end a bit, but is this too much?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If the trailer fits, the other two concerns are ease of launch and load distribution. Tongue weight needs to be 15% more to get good tracking behind your vehicle.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The problem with a shorter trailer will be getting the load far enough forward to get, as Will said, that tongue weight high enough. If you can move the winch post forward, the axle back, and bunks forward to get the center of gravity forward, it might work. A trailer for a 22 will already have a couple feet overhang at the rear. That means literally all the additional boat length you add will be not only aft of the axle but overhanging the trailer. That could be a challenge to get the COG forward.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I looked at pictures of your type of boat on it’s trailer. The trailer looks a LOT like my H260 trailer. The H260 is a foot wider but dang I bet it would work. The hard part will be finding an H260 trailer for sale.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I found a 22’ Venture trailer that holds 5,000 lbs. I know it will hang off the end a bit, but is this too much?
Be careful with the numbers someone says a trailer will hold. A trailer that truly "holds" 5000# will more than likely have tandem axles with 3500# axles. The data tag where the serial number is located (if there is one) should have GVWR and possibly load rating. If the GVWR is 5000# you still have to subtract the trailer weight to get the trailers capacity.

A boat with a keel that retracts almost fully, like yours, would be a good candidate for a standard powerboat trailer. It would still need minor modification and also sliding axles so you would not have too much tongue weight. Good luck.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
as leeandrick said, there is a plate or sticker on the front of the trailer as to trailer weight and gross weight. Minus the trailer weight from Gross weight will reveal weight to be considered. So if you have a gross weight of 5000 and the trailer weighs 1500, then you need to consider 3500 pounds but that needs to include weight of motor and gear and should carry a 10% safety margin in that as well.

Will, the tongue weight per manufactures is 10%.

One other thing, look at the tires if not new for dry rot and then run the trailer around for a few minutes to make sure bearings are not overheating which can be felt in the hubs if too hot. Also check what the carrying weight is for one tire times the total of tires. Also too much overhang can be unlawful.

Aug 3, 2012
How about just jack the trailer up and check and grease the bearings? With no load, you cannot a true read on their condition unless you just look at them.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Be sure there are grease fittings on the hubs if you decide to take off with a load. Carry a grease gun and a cartridge of grease. That has saved me a time...

Aug 23, 2018
Ended up running into another issue that has stalled buying the boat, the swing keel cable is broken and the crank is damaged. I haven’t been able to see what is going on below (currently in the water), but am concerned about hull damage at this point.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Ended up running into another issue that has stalled buying the boat, the swing keel cable is broken and the crank is damaged. I haven’t been able to see what is going on below (currently in the water), but am concerned about hull damage at this point.
"RUN" There are many boats out there, especially this time of year.