Trailer Bunks/ Height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2010
Catalina 22 Florida's West Coast
Just bought a '89 Catalina 22, fixed Wing Keel with 2.6' draft. I need to know the height of the trailer bunks and distance apart. Have '96 26' MacG trailer to modify. Also, Read in other forums about a tongue extension, does anyone think this is needed with the extra trailer length I have? Launching Florida's Central/SouthWest coast. Hopefully, with the help of this Forum, Soon!!!

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Keep it low

First, make sure you get the boat as low as possible on the trailer. For every inch in height the boat is above the trailer, foot length's of distance will be needed in backing down into the water.

Set the boat on the hull bunks so the keel is higher than the keel bunk, say the thickness of cardboard and then shim the keel bunk up tight to the bottom of the keel, you want the hull bunks to carry most of the load. The boat will bounce when towing so you don’t want most of the hull weight sitting on that little keel bunk. Make sure you strap the back of the boat to the trailer, the bouncing will cause the boat to walk sideways on the hull bunks.

The hull bunk apart distance should be the same as the Mac, they’re the same width.

With the wing keel, you’ll need a tongue extension as long as you can make it even with the extra long trailer and then it may still be too short.

Now the winch, it must be the same height as the bow eye or even higher, never lower!

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks so much for the much needed info! You'll have to excuse my lack of detail, this being my first post and all. But, our boat is sitting in water, we closed the deal after I got a quote from someone to custom build a trailer for it. So naturally I thought he new what he was doing. Then he calls me wanting to know the spec's to build the bunks and keel support. All I got is a picture of the bottom, so if anyone already has a wing keel 22' Catalina that sits on a trailer, what is the distance between the base for the keel and the top of bunks for the hull?

Mar 5, 2010
Catalina 22 Shreveport
I've got a wing keel 87 and I haven't put a tape to it but I'd guess the distance from the bottom of the keel to the top of the bunks is about 2 to 2.5 ft. Mine was a custom one as well and we didn't have the small ones, we made a cradle for it with one long shaped bunk on each side. Just a board bolted down into the shape of the hull. It's been thousands of miles without so much as spidering gellcoat at the bunks.

And yes you are going to want all the tongue extension you can get.

Aug 21, 2009
Pearson P-30 Kingston
Just read your listing on trailer information, i have the same boat setting on a ezload trailer out side that i can measure up for you and send you pictures tomorrow if you still need the information. Great little boat!

Mar 11, 2010
Trailer Bunks/Height

ANYTHING would help at this point. A measurement, pic's. Beggers can't be choosers!!!

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
measurements

I just did this last fall, my trailer is tandem and just a bit larger that most like yours it too would carry a 26' . The number of uprights will be determined by the cross members mine has four. There are four bolsters (uprights) starting at the aft and going forward here are the measurements.

aft 28" over all length with 20" exposed

next 24" overall with 17.5" exposed

next 24" overall with 18" exposed

forward 27" overall with 23" exposed

(exposed length from the top of the cross member brackets to the bunk brackets)

My boat is a wing as well and when I made inquires as to how it was to be loaded and carried on the trailer I was told 60% of the weight on the keel and 40% on the bunks. Now how you finally get to that point those in the know, IE Catalina and several trailer manufactures had little help for me. One thing they were all adamant about though was NOT letting the entire weight of the boat rest on the bunks with the keel unsupported. I've had no issues with how it's set up. But by all means do your own research on how to set it up.

I have not had to use a tongue extension, the rear tires are about a foot out of the water, boat is easily winched on the remaining few feet. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I loaded it.

hope this of help to you.

Ken

Mar 11, 2010
Well thanks and kudos to all that have taken the time to help us, and hopefully we can end this thread with one more #. But the Co. building the trailer would like the exact measurement of the height of the Wing Keel itself? From hull to base. Please help!!

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
keel height

20.75" on the aft 21.25" on the forward from the hull to the board it's sitting on.

Ken

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks ssssoooooo much Ken, that's hopefully the final piece of the puzzle, to the trailer anyway. You don't know what a tremendous help that was. Thanks to all who helped my family get one more step closer to our little "bundle of joy!!!" And just to prove my love for all I'll leave you with this; Take a Safe Boating Course. For you and your crews sake, and the others out their who can only become better sailors by making it back to port!!

Status
Not open for further replies.