Topping lift attachment on a 1988 33.5

Apr 10, 2018
Hunter 33.5 South Haven, MI
New boat owner, I'm going to have a few questions!
I'm currently trying to understand my topping lift. It feeds from the cockpit, up the mast, down to the end of the boom. This part I get! At the back of the boom, it is clevised to a thin steel cable (1/16?), which runs inside the boom, but exits boom forward as rope, which is just tied off in a knot against the boom exit.
Is this normal? Why would I need control of both ends, rather than attaching to the boom? I don't see any obvious attach point on the boom.
Any ideas appreciated!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sounds like a previous owner installed the mast led topping lift and tied it to the old boom controlled one which would have had a static line from boom end to mast head. You can fix the topping lift to operate any you like.... the boat will still perform. BTW, do you have an outhaul?

Apr 10, 2018
Yes, the outhaul is there. Both the reefing lines are missing, I think it might have been one of those.
I'm curious as to how it would have been set up originally. Long term I'm looking at possibly a rigid vang and using the current topping line as a spare main halyard.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It’s been a long time since I had my 33.5; however, seems that the topping lift, outhaul, and reefing line(s) exited at the forwad end of the boom. There were metal swivel type cam cleats that maintained line position. I believe that the idea was that with the “jiffy reefing system” that all reefing functions could be done in one place at the mast with the exception of the main halyard that ran to a jammer on the coach roof.

Apr 10, 2018
I'm starting to suspect I may find an attachment for the bitter end of the topping lift at the top of the mast.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
suspect I may find an attachment for the bitter end of the topping lift at the top of the mast.
Frightening thought. Think positive. It will be at the mast, until you prove it is not. Pull all the lines... The one that causes the end of the boom to go up and down is the topping lift.

Apr 10, 2018
OK, took the boom apart today. I found a massive bird's nest, two broken pulleys at the mast end, and the wire that was shackled to the topping lift was part of a pulley system inside the boom. The rope running through the pulleys was tied off at the boom exit. I think this should be the outhaul? Another rope with a shackle looks like it was being used as the outhaul.
Next question, I can't find any mention of the outhaul having pulley blocks in the boom. Is this boat big enough to need them?

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
On my 1994 33.5, my outhaul does have a pulley system that can be accessed at the end of the boom. I was able to reach into the boom and take out the outhaul to change the line

tcbro

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Middle River, MD
On my 1992 H 33.5 the topping lift is attached to the end of the boom, goes up over a sheave at the masthead, down through the mast, through a block at the base and back through a clutch into the cockpit. The double block inside the boom is for the jiffy reefing system. It allows me to pull down the leech and the luff of the main simultaneously with 1 line led back to the cockpit.

Tom
s/v Orion's Child
Fair winds, blue skies and starry nights.