Tips on checking over and identifying a MacGregor 26?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_K

Dec 24, 2008
Sea Swirl 21 Parker River
Hi,

I’ve been born and raised a marina rat (all power) and now want to get into sailing. I recently found a killer deal on a 1986 MacGregor 26 that’s been sitting for a few years. It was abandoned by a previous tenant, and the owner of the property wants to get a title based on it’s being abandoned and sell it to me for a song.

I’ve researched these boats some and am aware of some of the compromises, but for my use I think they’ll work just fine. I won’t be doing any serious weather or going far offshore, and the river I’ll need to navigate to get to and from port can be shallow at times. I figure this could get me started, allow me to fix her up a bit and then likely sell it and move on in a season or two.

My first questions is, how do I know what model 26 it is? Apparently there’s a 26C, 26D, 26X, 26M, etc. I do know that it has a swing keel and an outboard mount on the port side of the transom. Any suggestions on how to tell which model it is?

I’ve got an old extra long shaft Suzuki 9.9 kicking around that I figure could push it well enough to get me in and out of the no wake zone and into the bay.

The boat has sails in storage, condition unknown until I get down there to check it out. For the cost of the boat and trailer I wouldn’t mind having to have the sails repaired, and would even consider replacing them if I had to (although that may cause me to reconsider this particular boat). The seller seems to think the sails are in good condition, which would be a nice bonus.

I’ve grown up on and around boats of all ages, and have been a liveaboard on a 1976 Silverton 34’ Sedan Bridge, so I know quite a bit about woodworking, glasswork, teak, general repair, electronics, etc.

Anything in particular I should be looking for in this boat besides the usual when inspecting it? Hull integrity, sail condition, structural soundness, etc. is all a given. I’ve heard the fresh water tanks are collapsible jugs that are of poor design, but I don’t mind installing a real fresh water tank and pump. Any advise on other things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what should I pay special attention to when checking the water ballast setup? Are there seals prone to leaking, or are there any other known issues I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Im not sure about 1986.. but I beleive the 26D was made in 87, 88, 89. You can get some review, ect on this site http://macgregor.sailboatowners.com...mid=240&task=3&kb=1&model=156&brand=Macgregor Look for the reviews between 1987, 1988, 1989. Some of the other reivews are in the wrong area.

You might check to make sure its a 26D - there should be the tank filling valves, ect just under the companionway stairs. This boat has a drop down dagger board, you should see the slot on the deck top near the mast.

If it is a 26D in somewhat reasonable shape, I would definately pick it up - its just a really fine trailerable sailing boat that is a bit cramped, but can be used on multi day trips. It is overall fast for this application, easy to trailer, easy to set up - easy to get in the water, handles some big wind, large wind range, easy to single hand. But you cant stand up inside.

My experience with a 26S which is very similar - I had to replace or repair a lot of the cheap hardware which came with the boat - especially in the ruder area. In my my opinion, if you dont like working on boats, it might not be what you want.

What to look for? Lots of the deck hardware such as cleats are probably shot - plan on fixing or relacing. Some of the hardware is over 20 years old likely.

You can push on the hull in spots and it will flex a little but Ive smashed my similar 26S sailboat into docks hard and the flexing probably kept the boat from getting any damage at all. It seems to be an overall strong hull but you can damage it - but the only damage Ive heard of is from high point loading from jack stands which possibly also involved some sort of accident such as a jack slipping.

Dont know how common but Ive heard of soft floors in the cabin area - fixable but lots of work. I looked at one old Mac which flexed when you got on the transom ladder - also fixable but lots of work. Some boats leak when it rains through the rub rail or the chain stays and you may have to mess with this. Leaks in the ballast tank are extremely rare.

If you getting a good deal and the boat itself seems sound, I would say lock in the deal as soon as you can. But plan on working on the boat, plenty of folks around here can give you lots of ideas. Overall, tis great boat.

Dan_K

Dec 24, 2008
Sea Swirl 21 Parker River
Im not sure about 1986.. but I beleive the 26D was made in 87, 88, 89. You can get some review, ect on this site http://macgregor.sailboatowners.com...mid=240&task=3&kb=1&model=156&brand=Macgregor Look for the reviews between 1987, 1988, 1989. Some of the other reivews are in the wrong area.

You might check to make sure its a 26D - there should be the tank filling valves, ect just under the companionway stairs. This boat has a drop down dagger board, you should see the slot on the deck top near the mast.

If it is a 26D in somewhat reasonable shape, I would definately pick it up - its just a really fine trailerable sailing boat that is a bit cramped, but can be used on multi day trips. It is overall fast for this application, easy to trailer, easy to set up - easy to get in the water, handles some big wind, large wind range, easy to single hand. But you cant stand up inside.

My experience with a 26S which is very similar - I had to replace or repair a lot of the cheap hardware which came with the boat - especially in the ruder area. In my my opinion, if you dont like working on boats, it might not be what you want.

What to look for? Lots of the deck hardware such as cleats are probably shot - plan on fixing or relacing. Some of the hardware is over 20 years old likely.

You can push on the hull in spots and it will flex a little but Ive smashed my similar 26S sailboat into docks hard and the flexing probably kept the boat from getting any damage at all. It seems to be an overall strong hull but you can damage it - but the only damage Ive heard of is from high point loading from jack stands which possibly also involved some sort of accident such as a jack slipping.

Dont know how common but Ive heard of soft floors in the cabin area - fixable but lots of work. I looked at one old Mac which flexed when you got on the transom ladder - also fixable but lots of work. Some boats leak when it rains through the rub rail or the chain stays and you may have to mess with this. Leaks in the ballast tank are extremely rare.

If you getting a good deal and the boat itself seems sound, I would say lock in the deal as soon as you can. But plan on working on the boat, plenty of folks around here can give you lots of ideas. Overall, tis great boat.
Thanks for the tips! So far it's looking like the deal is certainly right, but the circumstances may not be. It's an "abandoned" boat, and a title may not be obtainable. Here's the rough, if you're interested, copied from another
forum where I've been getting a lot of help:

The boats original owner was renting a property from this guy. 4 years ago he up and took off, leaving everything including the boat behind, no forwarding address, no paying bills, etc. The boat has been sitting since.

I did do some research on abandoned boats in MA (the state the boat is in, and was last registered in). It does seem that it can be claimed as abandoned. I'm unsure if I can claim it, or if he has to. Here's the info on how it works in MA
PROCEDURES FOR OBTAINING LEGAL OWNERSHIP OF ABANDONED OR SALVAGED BOATS
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/abandonedproc.pdf

It seems this boat falls into definition A of abandoned, by that law (page 1 of the PDF).

It seems the first step, and the step I plan to take tomorrow once I have the HIN and have inspected the boat, would be to call the Marine Theft Office @ 800-632-8075. If it comes up clean and not needing an inspection there, it seems the next step would be to send a letter to the owners last known address (which is the sellers house, so that's sure to be returned "moved no forwarding address", since that's just what the guy did.)

This process is a big part of tomorrows meeting with the seller, and I plan to learn more when I call the Marine Theft Office with the HIN and explain the situation. Any help, advice or insight you could provide would be most appreciated.

How we're going to handle the title is still in the air. I won't be paying for the boat unless I can title it. I may reach an agreement with the seller where I go through all the claim process, signing a contract with him to pay for the boat if/when I am able to get a title. I'm learning more about this process as time goes on and I learn more about the boat, so like I said I'd really appreciate and welcome any insight or help. It does appear to me, though, that based on the info on the above linked pdf this boat is eligible to be claimed as abandoned.

Even if he has to be the one to claim the title, I still need to inspect the boat and see if I'd be willing to enter a contract agreeing to buy it if he is issued a title. Without a buyer lined up I get the impression the seller is just going to let the boat sit.
The problem is if the boat is actually eligible to be claimed as abandoned, since the guy had permission to store it there 4 years ago when he lived there. I expect some talking with the department of marine theft, the DMV & the boats seller (all talks to take place tomorrow) to answer some serious questions. If I'm able to get a title I'll be back with questions for sure! If not, I'll touch back saying why just for closure on the thread.

I should be around anyway. I'm making the transition from power and paddling to sailing one way or the other - it just may not be in time for this season if this deal falls through.

One thing is for sure, tomorrow should be an interesting day!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Dan, saw your post on sailnet.

Here is a little more detail on identifying the boat assuming it is a water ballast 26 foot.

87-89 model was the 26D. Water ballast tank hardware just under the companionway ladder and a light weight drop down dagger board. You can see a slot on the deck top near the mast for the dagger board and also a slot on the bottom of the boat. Fastest 26 foot sailboat Mac built but its going to leave a mark if you ground the light weight dagger board.

90-95 model was the 26S. Very similar to the 26D but has a light wieght swing centerboard. If you look under the boat, you can see the long slot for the centerboard. A little slower than the 26D but more forgiving to grounding as the swing keel just rotates backwards.

Both the 26D and the 26S are called the 26C or 26 classic. Both of these are traditional sailboats using under 10 hp outboards but they also sail fairly well for a boat that is easilly trailered and a family can reasonably camp in for a few days.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Might be a 25

If it is a 1986, it must be a Macgregor 25, not water ballast. The production years for the 26 classics (water ballast) were 1987-1995.

Check the HIN to be sure, the HIN is placed on the upper starboard side of the transom. If it's water ballast it will start with MACW

Status
Not open for further replies.