Time to shop for prop

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by lostintime, Feb 26, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. lostintime

lostintime

Joined Aug 4, 2015
    34 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Gibralter Boat Yard
    Spring is coming and I would love to make better headway under power this seasaon.

1976 Cal30 with Atomic 4 (engine runs strong). The stats in the manual indicate 25hp @3000 rpm. I'm sure age has reduced that statistic somewhat. I have what I believe to be the original two blade prop on the boat. Markings on the prop are 12RH7. It is also stamped with 3 76 (I think that's month and year), "Grand Rapids Mich", and the word "SAILOR" (yes its in all caps). My research is leading me to a three blade 13x10 prop.

Any thoughts

Also, where the heck can I find a used prop?

jssailem likes this.
  2. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,580 posts, 1,203 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Campbell Sailor if you want a 3 blade prop. They will help you size it. Best fixed blade for a sailboat.

IIRC they are made on Vancouver Island BC Canada

jssailem likes this.
  3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,032 posts, 3,937 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Good morning @lostintime .
    As my good friend @LeslieTroyer has suggested... The Campbell Sailor is a great prop for the objective you have identified. If one can be in love with a prop... the Campbell Sailor I installed last year is my new girlfriend.

Kelsey runs the shop. Look up the info at WestbyNorth.com
    Send him your particulars and he will help you identify the prop you need. Really helped me.

4. Ted

Ted

Joined Jan 26, 2005
    1,085 posts, 191 likes
    C&C 110
    US Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
    You might consider making better headway while powering AND sailing by considering a folding prop. The Flex-O-Fold props are worth a look. They perform well in forward and reverse and will reduce drag when sailing. I assume you sail more than you power so why would you only want to increase performance part time? (Other than cost) Money very well spent in my opinion.

5. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,575 posts, 1,173 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS

6. lostintime

lostintime

Joined Aug 4, 2015
    34 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Gibralter Boat Yard
    Sadly, I am constricted by budget. Also, this will likely not be my last boat. I'm less concerned with the impending drag I'll get from a three blade because when I am sailing I am in no hurry, and I am frequently NOT doing everything I can to make the boat go faster. I am more likely to be nursing a beer and watching the sun sparkle off the water while Gordon tells me a tale about a freighter that sank in a storm on Lake Superior. However, I need the thrust when I am trying to get up the Detroit river against a 5-knot current or to convert the trip to Put In Bay from 6 hours to 4.5.

I would love to find a used prop.

7. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,943 posts, 1,488 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    That sounds like a Michigan Wheel 12” diameter, right hand prop pitched to 7”. Don’t think you would want to over pitch a gasoline propulsion system. Measure the shaft bore and any key way, call Michigan Wheel with the prop in hand and see what they suggest. You can probably find a used prop online, for some reason eBay seems to be full of used props.

8. lostintime

lostintime

Joined Aug 4, 2015
    34 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Gibralter Boat Yard
    Thanks Gunni. Exactly the type of information I was searching for. I'll call them in the morning.

9. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,934 posts, 1,609 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    you also can have your two bladed prop repitched. your right up the road from me. Erie propeller service, about 40 miles south, on the north side of toledo. it's worth a call to them to se what you can do. because the fewer blades means more efficient the prop.

10. Kingjim91

Kingjim91

Joined Jul 6, 2013
    106 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 30TR
    US Milwaukee

11. lostintime

lostintime

Joined Aug 4, 2015
    34 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Gibralter Boat Yard
    Thanks King, That was some good reading. Nice price too! That might be the winner.

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!