'Time and Tide wait for no man', even here on the high (mostly) coast of Maine.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
OT @TomY... What size lens did you use for the third picture? Looks to be 200~300mm just because of the compressed background. Enquiring mind wants to know.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
how we as a nation respond to other nations and how we as a nation conduct our business at home and abroad, speaks to the character and values we collectively hold.
I do beg to differ and it isn't necessarily a political position. With all due respect, I think the statement you just made is a shallow platitude that makes no sense to me.

We don't, and never have had, a collective character and values. We are individuals with free thought and personal ambitions. The mere idea of collectivism is abhorrent and frightening to me. I have no desire to be bound by a collective 'morality'. The very idea that one person can represent that their own "character and values" is in conformance with the 'collective' and that anybody else whom doesn't agree is morally out-of-bounds is objectionable.

Of course we live within collective laws (that's necessary), but we also see how even our law-makers and our law-enforcers can't agree on how to interpret laws and they even go as far as breaking laws and/or ignoring laws.

Instead, I recognize that we all have individual desires, interpretations, and ambitions. We have a right to make ourselves happy and we don't necessarily all agree. What is good for me is not always good for you. In fact, what is good for me may be in extreme conflict with what is good for you. But we get to decide what is good for ourselves, not somebody else. We do have to live with compromise if we want to get along. I'll never express moral superiority for my opinions when they differ from yours. It doesn't mean I won't argue. :cool:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We don't, and never have had, a collective character and values. We are individuals with free thought and personal ambitions.
See below. These quotes pretty well spell out our country's values.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. ...

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security....

The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.....

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I do beg to differ and it isn't necessarily a political position. With all due respect, I think the statement you just made is a shallow platitude that makes no sense.

We don't, and never have had, a collective character and values. We are individuals with free thought and personal ambitions. The mere idea of collectivism is abhorrent and frightening to me. I have no desire to be bound by a collective 'morality'. The very idea that one person can represent that their own "character and values" is in conformance with the 'collective' and that anybody else whom doesn't agree is morally out-of-bounds is objectionable.

Of course we live within collective laws (that's necessary), but we also see how even our law-makers and our law-enforcers can't agree on how to interpret laws and they even go as far as breaking laws and/or ignoring laws.

Instead, I recognize that we all have individual desires, interpretations, and ambitions. We have a right to make ourselves happy and we don't necessarily all agree. What is good for me is not always good for you. In fact, what is good for me may be in extreme conflict with what is good for you. But we get to decide what is good for ourselves, not somebody else. We do have to live with compromise if we want to get along. I'll never express moral superiority for my opinions when they differ from yours. It doesn't mean I won't argue. :cool:
With all due respect, I think that our political representatives are what show our collective character and values.

Oct 26, 2008
Yes, "created equal" … we are equal individuals, free to pursue our individual rights. We have no collective duty to submit to a collective authority. See above, my distinction between common and collective. I'll give you credit if we are seeing things the same way, except, perhaps, with different words! ;)

Oct 26, 2008
With all due respect, I think that our political representatives are what show our collective character and values.
Nope! :cool:
Our commonality is that we respect the individual rights and opinions of our countrymen. We recognize that we should compromise when our interests diverge. It is impossible for 300 million people to have identical pursuits and ambitions, but with at least loosely common morality we can get along. A forced collective morality would lead us to disaster.
(I hope you all know I'm having fun!)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, "created equal" … we are equal individuals, free to pursue our individual rights. We have no collective duty to submit to a collective authority. See above, my distinction between common and collective. I'll give you credit if we are seeing things the same way, except, perhaps, with different words! ;)
This is the narrow interpretation of the "all men created equal phrase." In this phrase and throughout the rest of the Declaration Jefferson and the other signers were saying that all men and all nations are equal. This is far more important than the common narrow interpretation. Here were 13 piss poor colonies, with no army, no currency, no navy with very different interests saying in effect "We are equal to England," at the time the strongest country in the world.

We are drifting far afield from sailing. Danielle Allen wrote an excellent book, Our Declaration: A Reading of the Declaration of Independence in Defense fo Equality. If you are interested in understanding the origins of our country and the values we declared 250 years ago, this is a must read. It is easily read and informative.

Oct 26, 2008
All good thoughts … I wonder what the folks in Iowa and Colorado think about Sea Level Rise. :confused: I know my son is thinking about how great it is that the Back Bowls are open already. He just sent me a text to make me jealous.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
OT @TomY... What size lens did you use for the third picture? Looks to be 200~300mm just because of the compressed background. Enquiring mind wants to know.
Hi Brian, I shoot everything with two lenses: A Canon 10-22 zoom and a Canon 28-135 zoom. That shot would have been at 135.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Thermosphere and you see the opposite effect the layer is actually cooling. Why? The Sun. That glowing yellow ball in the sky is putting out less radiation and the cold of space is having its affect on the Thermosphere.
You mean the SUN is the only significant thing that determines our climate and ocean levels?

I am in luck, my boat floats and is Solar powered!
Since don't have an ice breaker bow, I should avoid Greenland sailing then.
______

Simple logic..
1) Water levels rises from increase in liquid water on the planet.
2) Since we are not making more water on the Earth, it must be the Polar ice caps melted.

Ok what causes the Polar Ice cap to melt?

Answer is HEAT.

Ok, now what causes the Ice caps to freeze?

Answer is Removal of HEAT.

Ok, What is the only significant source of HEAT to the Earth?

Answer is our SUN.

What is the forecast on the SUN energy radiation and Earths retention of that energy?
Look at @jssailem last link on his post #20.

We are in luck we do the Solar Heat Balance daily and have been for years.:)

Put it bluntly, get out your thermal underwear for this years Winter, or like John's picture "the mummy" outfit.

Your friendly weather forecaster...
Jim...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have the Nikon CoolPix p900 with a 24-2000mm equivalent zoom. At the max range, they say you have to even account for the compressed air between you and the subject.
I took this with my phone this morning on the walk from the parking lot to work.
IMG_20181128_071402.jpg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Red sky in Morning sailor take warning
Red Sky at night ...Sailors Delight
Alrighty now. Let's have some fun. Do you know why this is a sailor's saying?