Tiller to Wheel Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2009
Catalina 30 Everett, WA
My husband wants to convert our 1978 Catalina 30 from a tiller to a wheel. The boat has always been lightly used and is in excellent condition. We are having a "discussion" about whether it would be worth spending the money for the conversion. He doesn't like to always be holding the tiller(we have an autopilot that has never been hooked up). He thinks that a wheel wouldn't have to be held all the time or he wouldn't always be feeling a pull like he does on the tiller. He also thinks that docking would be easier because he would be standing up and not bending over. Of course he has to bend over because the controls are low on the port side anyway, so that would involve moving the controls as well. We have looked at newer catalinas, but none that we like as well as ours, except for the tiller. My husband does want a brand new boat, but I can't see throwing $153k to the wind so to speak. Can anyone offer feedback regarding this wheel vs. tiller discussion.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
This is a recurring issue, especially for C30 owners, since many have done it. Some have reported their cockpit control panel relocation on this message board. You may want to do some creative searching on certain words to find them, or someone may lead you to them.

If it was my boat and I had the "issues" you report, here's what I'd do:

1. hook up the autopilot - you'll find it makes a BIG difference and frees you up during MOST of the day so that when you dock it will be less of a "burden" to use the tiller

2. investigate the wheel steering conversion at the following websites

www.catalina30.com

www.edsonmarine.com

It's a lot of work, but if you're thinking of keeping the boat (a great boat, BTW), it could make a lot of sense.

May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
sorry to jump in.. my boat which i purchased last year ('82 cat 30) had the conversion done. everything is good and the pedestal is secure, just feel it's not very "solid". have only been able to compare to a newer cat with factory pedestal (i believe). going to try to re-bed the pedestal this season, just wondering if anything else can do.

cheers

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Are you sure it was converted and not factory installed? How can you tell? Do you have the stainless binnacle guard? It stiffens things up considerably.

When rebedding, plan on replacing the 4 mounting bolts. Most are aluminum and guaranteed to be frozen. If yours are aluminum, to save time I'd cut the bottoms off and drive them up and out with a drift.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree, Neil. Some conversions only have the white Edson pedestal and wheel with just the base for support. Without the binnacle guard (i.e., stainless tube with the heat rounded top to hold onto, just like yours - nice job BTW), it could well be wobbly.

May 21, 2006
(PO mentioned it was a conversion). yes, has the barnacle guard. maybe it's fine. just looked another a week ago and really felt more stable though. don't recall but feel like the base on that one was larger??

possibly re-bedding will help

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for the comment Stu.

Technically I suppose the difference between amateur and professional installation is the exchange of money for work but in a broader sense it boils down to experience. Someone who has experience with such installations should have an easier go of it and hopefully produce a better result. After all, isn't that the reason for paying to have it done?

I approached the project - and it is an extensive project Windcat - from a position of advantage. The first job I had in the boatbuilding industry so many years ago was at Columbia Yachts where I was responsible for the plumbing and steering installations for the center cockpit Coronado 35. Being a center cockpit every boat was steered with a pedestal and I installed every single one of them. Later on I worked at Capital Yachts building the Newports. The reason I was hired was because of my pedestal steering experience and at the time Capital was anticipating starting the Newport 41 production, a split cockpit pedestal steered boat. While there I installed the first pedestals on the Newport 30's as well.

That experience was a real bonus when it came time to install mine. It was still plenty of work but none of it intimidating. Actually it was a pleasant trip down memory lane, kinda nostalgic.

dlewis,
I would not count on bedding compound to strengthen the mount. The sealant is to keep the water out, the strength of the mount comes from the physical bolting. Maybe you should carefully examine the pedestal to determine if there's movement and if so, where the movement occurs. Then you can address the real problem if one exists.

May 21, 2006
flying, jumping.. ny harbor is dangerous! (ok, so i guess i did say barnacle)

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
windcat...if you ever come back, I might be interested in buying your tiller pilot, if you wanted to sell it to get some $$ for buying wheel parts. :D

Feb 2, 2011
Catalina 22 Springfield
I do not own a C30, but have only become interested since I learned that some have tillers (I had only seen wheels). I have sailed boats with wheels and boats with tillers; I would only have one with a tiller. The tiller puts you in touch with the boat and it's movements in a way that a wheel can never match.

Jan 22, 2008
Five hours at the tiller of a C-30 either under power or hard on the wind and you might feel differently. I know your arms will feel a little different.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I agree, I had a Cat 25 with tiller steering & it would just wear you out after a day of fighting that stick. I don't miss it a bit. Whatever minor loss of feel there may be with the wheel is more than made up for the increased mechanical advantage of the wheel, ease of steering, ability to lock them down easily to go below for a few minutes at least, & the feel of a big boat. No comparison. Whether you will get your $$ investment back out of the wheel conversion is a judgement call, but it sure will be easier to sell down the road...

Mar 19, 2011
Chrysler C-22 Keesler AFB Marina
I am definately going to buy this boat next summer to upgrade from my Chrysler C-22. The problem I have is that the tiller version goes for like 6-10K and the one or two I can find with a wheel are 30k+. I definately want the wheel and would love to see a thread on the process to convert it. I had no luck on the sites mentioned above.

Jan 22, 2008
I can probably be of help. I installed the pedestal systems on the Coronado 35's when I worked there and all the pedestal systems at Capital Yachts during my tenure there. In fact, my pedestal experience is what Capital hired me for. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, I converted my C-30 a few years ago.

Problem is, I don't know where to begin, such a discussion could go on for days. I'm happy to provide all the info I can but where to start?

Mar 19, 2011
Well, I will hopefully be able to find a boat with a wheel when I get ready to buy next summer. But general questions that come to mind are: is it worth it? Is it cost effective? Is it going to be ugly? I see the tiller model cockpit has a nice molding where the tiller fits. Is that going to be an eyesore when done?

Jan 22, 2008
Is it worth it? On an average used boat and buying the pedestal system new, probably not. Is it cost effective? Nope. Here's how it plays out:

A new pedestal system costs what, $2-3K? Or more? Don't be fooled by the $1K pedestal price, It's for the pedestal only, not the sheaves, quadrant, rudder stop, etc. There's a bunch of other stuff you need to make it work too. In addition to the pedestal system itself you'll also want an engine control head, new longer throttle and shift cables, possible relocation of the engine control panel, compass and binnacle, binnacle guard and so on.

The tiller head should be replaced with a lower profile one from Catalina Direct. It costs around $80 and looks fine. You'll have holes to repair in the fiberglass where the old throttle and shift controls were and the original engine control panel location. As far as finished appearance, don't forget we have a double berth under the cockpit. Unless you add a fiberglass cover underneath the cockpit the steering mechanism will be visible.

And what about an autopilot? Installed you're looking at another 2 grand plus.

I think you're light years ahead if you can find a boat outfitted the way you want rather than "buy and modify." This is similar to wanting a diesel powered boat, buying a gas boat for what seems a good price, then dropping another $8 - 9K on an engine conversion.

I wanted a wheel and bought a tiller boat, so why didn't I follow my own advice? There are a number of reasons:

• I bought my boat for an obscenely low price. Obscenely.
  • I have considerable wheel steering system installation experience.
  • I bought my complete wheel system, including compass, binnacle guard and instrument pods off a Catalina 30 sunk in hurricane Charley, $400 total.
  • I'm a relentless scrounger. I never, ever pay retail for anything.
  • Besides boatbuilding experience I'm also a licensed electrician. Relocating the engine control panel was a walk in the park, even made a whole new panel in the process.
  • I have considerable fiberglass experience. Repairing the leftover holes was no big deal as well as fabricating a cover for the steering mechanism in the quarterberth overhead.
Imagine paying for all that stuff!! If I couldn't do it all myself I'd have passed on the boat and found one with the equipment I wanted.

So in my bizarre case, was it worth it? Yes. Was it cost effective? Yes, if you don't count sweat equity. Your skill set is really the determinant as to how successful a wheel conversion will be. Paying full freight for the conversion on a used boat is in my opinion a huge mistake.

Hope this helps. My goal is for you to avoid any expensive surprises. Eyes wide open and all that.

Good luck

Mar 19, 2011
Hey, thanks for the advice. It definately brought a lot of things to light. I don't think it's worth it for me. I will just have to hold out for the wheel model. Even if I could do it, and everything went perfect, it would still change the looks enough to turn me off. I prefer things to look very clean and streamline. Nothing looks better than factory to me. Thanks for saving me a huge mistake ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.