Thinking New Propeller in 2018

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This is a subject I have been considering for awhile.
In about 10 days I will get a look at my current prop up close and personal.

Then I will be considering the idea of
  1. Keep the prop she came with
  2. change to a new fixed 3 blade prop
  3. look at foldable prop.
I am intrigued by the Campbell Sailor prop. Like so many issues on a boat it is a compromise of cost, design, and performance both under power and sailing.

What led to this post was the image I found of the prop for the US Carrier. The USS Gerald Ford.

The blade design profile has similarities to the Campbell Sailor.
WOW.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Cool picture.

We switched to a Flexofold 3 blade at the start of this season. I had been meaning to write a post about our experiences, but hadn't gotten around to it. Anyway, I'll give my input here. Bottom line is that it's been completely positive for us.

We replaced our OEM 3 blade fixed prop (17x12) with a Flexofold 3 blade (16x12). The Flexofold staff recommended the size given our engine model, HP, max RPM, transmission gearing, and boat size. I initially took the transmission gearing from the service manual and got a very strange recommendation from them. It turns out the service manual was unclear, and when I gave the actual gearing from the placard on the engine they recommended the 16x12.

We had our yard pull the old prop off, but I did the Flexofold installation myself. Very straightforward and simple.

Under power the boat speed is about the same as before, cruising at about 7.1 kts @ 2800 RPMs with a clean bottom. Some others on forums have reported a slight increase in motoring speed, but I didn't see that myself. There is no additional vibration - just as smooth as the fixed prop was. Maine Sail once reported unacceptable vibration with a FoF 2 blade but I don't think the 3 blade has that issue.

In reverse the Flexofold does generate a bit less power than a fixed prop, but it's not a significant problem. I need to bring the RPMs up to about 1500 to get the same amount of power as idle was before, but 1500 still leaves plenty of headroom. I rarely need more than that moving around a dock. There is still a bit of prop walk, probably about half as much as the fixed prop. It's enough to be able to use to maneuver without interfering.

Under sail it's a huge improvement, especially at low wind speeds. I have the data from my chartplotter and I've compared it from my races this season vs. previous years. In light winds the boat's a solid 0.25 kts faster with the Flexofold. As wind speed increases (above 8kts or so) it's less of an advantage, but then it's a big help again at high wind speeds (over about 15kts). The fixed prop was causing a lot of turbulence in front of the rudder, so in high winds with high weather helm I would need to use lots of rudder angle to keep the boat going straight. With the Flexofold there is no turbulence, so the rudder angles are less and the boat can go about 0.25kts faster again. There were also less times this year when I felt at risk of rounding up, with the added rudder efficiency. The advantage far outweighs the 9 seconds/mile PHRF adjustment, especially in a light wind area like the Chesapeake.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
What led to this post was the image I found of the prop for the US Carrier. The USS Gerald Ford.
Hi John, now that's my kind of prop. Maybe it will fit on Belle-Vie? :biggrin:

Really like the way our boat handles with the original fixed three blade. Maybe a different prop would be nicer, but just like anchors, if it works...

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 320 Bristol, RI
Decided against a folding and/or feathering prop for reasons of cost and complexity.

I switched to a Campbell Sailer from West by North last winter. The three-blade fixed prop replaced a two-blade "sailboat" propeller that came with my Catalina 320.

Much improved thrust and no noticeable reduction is speed under sail. Then again, I'm a cruiser, not a racer, and don't obsess about 1/4-knot speed differences.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hi John, now that's my kind of prop. Maybe it will fit on Belle-Vie? :biggrin:
You might want to research that. It looks, to me, like you would get an ungodly amount of prop-walk unless you are turning twin props against each other. Then it's just drag you have to worry about. :cowbell:
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Hi John
Sun Gypsy got a new Campbell last April. After a couple of thousand miles last summer we are very pleased. Plus NO moving parts.IMGP0030.jpeg

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
I'm very pleased with my 3-blade Campbell Sailor. 12 years and no complaints. Give them a call, let them size it and give you the price.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
This is a subject I have been considering for awhile.
In about 10 days I will get a look at my current prop up close and personal.

Then I will be considering the idea of
  1. Keep the prop she came with
  2. change to a new fixed 3 blade prop
  3. look at foldable prop.
I am intrigued by the Campbell Sailor prop. Like so many issues on a boat it is a compromise of cost, design, and performance both under power and sailing.

The blade design profile has similarities to the Campbell Sailor.
WOW.
One of four (4) on the carrier. Looks like a bigass zinc fits on the end of the shaft.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
John. I vasalate between MaxProp and AutoProp. I just don’t think I’ve been frustrated with the drag to shell out that kind of cash yet. Maybe a used one.

Les

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Les, FWIW, I could have written davidassilors post myself. Exactly my experience but with a geared folding two blade Slipstream. Wouldn't be without a folder or feathering.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
I switched to the 2 bladed feathering maxi prop about 5 years ago and love it- great for sailing and motoring both forward and reverse- hey do it :biggrin:

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
During my repower, I installed a new 18” feathering J-Prop. During the sea trial, and returning to the marina, it was suggested we try reverse to verify. I throttled down and went into reverse and then some throttle. Everyone on deck was scrambling for more handholds and better footing. Admittedly, we were a little over propped..