There and back again: Florida to Chattanooga

Sep 25, 2017
O'day 22 Chattanooga
We keep our boat at privateer yacht club
I've heard good things about that club, I haven't been in years but have heard the new clubhouse is very nice.
If you are ever sailing up towards the island and see a 22 oday be sure to wave :cool:

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
Hi everyone,
I have been asked by several of you to keep you posted as to our adventures bringing a sailboat from Florida to Chattanooga. Many of you know the difficulties we have had. At one point I was sure we made a mistake buying this boat. It seemed evertime we turned around, something needed to be fixed.

Initially we were going to ship the boat home as I was a bit skeptical about blue water. When we heard the cost we decided it would be a great vacation/adventure to do it ourselves. We would save money and have fun! Win-win situation. Given the repairs and lengthy marina stays, we haven't saved money. The problems that have been addressed would have needed to be addressed regardless so if you look at it that way, we did save money

It has been an adventure and it continues....I've learned I don't like rough seas but didn't get sick, I can stay up all night looking for ships that pass in the night, (we never saw one),
Sailing can be fun, and there are a lot of great people out there...people I would never have met if we didn't take this trip and have engine problems.

We head out today for a short hop to Fort Walton Yacht Club. We will stay overnight then head to Pensacola. Important stops/places will be, Red Fish Blue Fish, a favorite boutique (I've earned it), Lulus, big lagoon, Pirates cove...the fun continues....
Good luck with your trip. Great way to see the USA at a relaxed pace. Hope you don't mind swapping the open ocean for the more confining Rivers and lakes in Tennessee. If you feel that way and happen to like Country Music, Just put on the Song, John Deere Tractor, by the Judds

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 310 301 Ft Walton Yacht Club
I imagine you guys are battened down for another good blow tonight (Hurricane Nate). Best wishes from A & J.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
I know it's been awhile since I've posted so here is my update! We are currently at Grand Harbor marina at lake Pickwick. We will leave Monday morning heading to Florence. We are hoping the storm will have passed by then. At our current location we are expecting rain but not much else. We have been able to use a courtesy car to get provisions. We also met a very nice couple that we went to dinner with. I guess that is what I've enjoyed the most; meeting great people.

The boat has certainly become a second home and we show her off whenever we can. Scott tolerates my girlish need for pretty and cute. Mermaid pillows and a newly purchased mermaid doll. We have plans for making a new table when we get home. We were also given a small tabletop that will work perfectly in back of the sink. We just have to find the right hinge for it.

Now, let's talk dams! As many of you may know, we had trouble in the first two dams causing injury to the transom. We will need to have fiberglass repairs and possibly a protective stainless steel strip. After the first two dams and a little help from friends...we have done well....my new title is bollard queen! We are using the jib sheet block to tie up and keep the boat at midship....works like a charm! We have five dams left before we get home. I have a bottle of champagne ready!

Attachments

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I went to the Dam to ask the Dam man for a glass of Dam water. The Dam man said I couldn’t have any Dam water, so I went home and got a glass of my own Damn water.

Sorry but i terrioized my grand parents with this 50 some years ago! Every time I hear Dam it comes back.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We made it through the last dam and wouldn't you know it...the dam engine quit! We sailed to our home port, picked up our dog, and now relaxing! The dam boat will wait til tomorrow

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 310 301 Ft Walton Yacht Club
Glad you made it home. I'm sure you'll look back on the memories of your adventure and cherish (most of it) forever. I'm glad Jackie and I got to be small part of it... so nice to meet you and Scott!

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Glad you are in safe port, thanks for sharing your adventures as Allen said there are lots of memories!
The bad ones will fade fast.:)
This was a great learning expierence and again-lots of memories.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Congrats, you all made really good time it seems too.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Delighted to hear to made it home. It was my pleasure to meet you and have you sail on Amazing Grace. Let us know what happened to the engine!

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Hello all,
It is so strange being home. Both Scott and I feel a bit disjointed....today I made my new table for our boat. I like it so much better than either table that came with the boat. I am posting pictures for you. Also. Engine is up and running. We changed out the filters again. So far, so good! Thank you all for your support.

Marilyn
9075EBF3-7C21-4D79-BE14-B9BD656D5E54.jpeg
45230440-0B1A-493E-A7B9-08BE1A277C25.jpeg