The North Pole is moving!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Actually, magnetic North never moves. The Earth shifts around it. For that matter, so does the whole solar system and galaxy as well. Pretty amazing really. ;)

-Will ("satyrist", Dragonfly)
I thought Copernicus or Gallileo or Columbus dispelled that notion 500 or 600 years ago.o_O

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yeah, for axis rotation. It has yet to be demonstrated for magnetism.:poke:

-Will (Dragonfly)
Actually, I was referring to your oblique suggestion of earth as the "center of the universe". Forgive me...with that interpretation, I've fallen over the edge.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The Earth isn't at the center of the Universe except by its association with us.
Physically, who knows. Ethically, we are.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Getting back to the North Pole moving, I guess it's due to climate change that I have been listening to for years now. The point I am trying to make is that from what I've heard the northern hemisphere will be warming (I have no idea if the north pole moving has anything to do with it) But I didn't move to Florida because I was under the impression that Jersey was going to be the new Florida. Weather wise that is. I'm still waiting!
How is that for getting away from the OP????????

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Getting back to the North Pole moving, I guess it's due to climate change that I have been listening to for years now. The point I am trying to make is that from what I've heard the northern hemisphere will be warming (I have no idea if the north pole moving has anything to do with it) But I didn't move to Florida because I was under the impression that Jersey was going to be the new Florida. Weather wise that is. I'm still waiting!
How is that for getting away from the OP????????
The pole is moving because it is getting too warm in northern Canada, it is seeking a cooler climate. The lobsters are following.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sue thinks the universe revolves around her, and as far as I know, nobody has demonstrated that it doesn't in her case, either. ;)
Unless there can be two centers to the Universe, I'm pretty sure my wife can demonstrate that. :worship:
On the other hand, an axis can have two poles.:clap:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Just so there's no confusion, I wandered over to the mailbox this morning and got a shot of it. Somebody has taken the liberty of brushing off the snow so the plow doesn't hit it.
DSC01077 copy.JPG

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Waaay back when I was in the Air Force and building flight plans for F4s, it was part of the routine to read the magnet variation lines on the navigation charts, sometimes in the range of +18 degrees There was also usually a statement to the effect "variation changes +x degrees per year", such that you also had to check the date the chart was printed and add or subtract additional variation to your calculations. This was in the early 70s, and obviously this is nothing new. Same for marine charts.

What amazes me is that there are people who aren't aware of magnetic variation at all...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You can always calculate your own variation, each night the North Star is visible.

-Will (Dragonfly)