The name game

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reed Reynolds

Runz Wif Sizzors

We purchased a 1974 Catalina 27. An old boat to be sure but it was love at first sight. We have put a lot into her, even though it proably would have been eaiser to pruchase a newer boat and more than likley cheaper . But fate has it we took into our family and with us she will stay. We named the boat Runz Wif Sizzors. my oldest son (23) suggested the name because as a child my wife was always telling him not to run with sissors in his hands, even though they were play sissors. there you have the story behind the name of our boat (formally-Dragon Lady) Reed & Lynn Reynolds

B

Bill & Lin Bass

Coy Mistress

We bought our 1995 36 Catalina MKII this past winter. With all the TLC and maintanence she requires, we decided to name her "Coy Mistress."

M

Mickey

What else?

My boat is named Minnie and she has Minnie Mouse decals on both sides of the bow and on the transom. My name is Mickey, what else would I name my boat?

R

Richard Frehs

Knot Endowed

I named my Hunter 170 "Knot Endowed" because it is a small boat. But you should see it when the mast is erect!

D

Dave Simpson

Seeadler

I named my boat after a German Raider from the First World War. Translated it's Sea Eagle. It was the only raider to go out under sail with a captain who wanted to play pirate. Through out her voyage, he never killed another sailor or pet. The biography was written by Lowel Thomas, The Sea Devil.

S

Sail La Vie

Lots of good names.

She was named when I bought her,and the name seemed to fit her just right.

B

Bill Kingsbury

Kept the old one

When I acquired the Laday Jane I considered re-naming her. However, because my daughter's middle name is Jane, named after her grandmother, I decided to keep the name. After a few days of ownership, I called the previous owner the obtain info on the boat that was not revealed in the listing: "the real poop". A woman's voice answered my call. When I explained my reason for the call, she happily retorted: "I'm Jane". I learned that the owner had renamed the boat after her when he brought it south to be near his new love. The former name had been "Running Free" which is still a shadow under the paint. Subsequently, a new family moved into a house that faces our dock, providing a super view of the Lady Jane. When I introduced myself as the owner of the Lady, my new neighbor excitedly told how she and her hisband loved to look at the boat from their window, stating that it was "her boat". Her name is Jane. Now, 5 years later, the Lady has the reputation of being one of the most actively sailed boats in the harbour, has even made a 7-week cruise to the Bahamas.

R

Ron Johnson

Inheritance

Boat names are usually chosen to reflect the new owners hopes and dreams for their purchase. When we purchased the H336 it was felt that this would be the last boat purchase for us. Therefore, it was important that the name reflect those that come after us. Of course the 4 wonderful children we have been allowed to conceive, raise, nurture, and love came immediately to mind. 1st born was DEnnis, 2nd was LAura, 3rd was ROndell, and 4th was MArsha. Taking the first two letters from each name gave us delaRoma. A name that is descriptive of us as well.

L

Lauraine

When we got our first sailboat, I wanted to

name her "Weeble" after the famous Fisher-Price toys. "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down."

T

TIM WEEDEN

FUN SET

MY FIRST BOAT WAS A 34 HUNTER. AND CALLED IT "FUN HUNTER" AND IT TENDED TO LIVE UP TO THE NAME. THE MAN I SOLD IT TO WOULD NOT LET ME RESERVE THE NAME AND IT REALLY DIDN'T FIT A BENETEAU QUITE AS WELL . MY IDYLLE 11.50 WAS ORIGINALLY "SEA BITCH". IT HAD BEEN CHANGED TO "KOKOMO". I BOUGHT THE PAPERS FROM THE BANK AND WENT TO BELIZE TO DO THE REPOSSION. IN A HURRY TO GET THE BOAT DOCUMENTED BEFOR REPO, I NAMED HER "FUN HUNTER II". MY WIFE SUGGESTED WE SHOULD NEVER BE #2IN ANYTHING. MY BOAT IS THE SETTING FOR ALL MY FUN. WE SELDOM MISS A PARTY. ONE EVENING SETTING IN THE COCKPIT WATCHING THE SUN GO DOWN, I SAID THATS IT LET"S CALL HER "FUN SET" ON THE SIDES OF THE BOAT BETWEEN FUN AND SET IS A LOGO OF A MAN AND WOMAN AND A PALM TREE IN SILUETTE IN FRONT OF A ORANGE SETTING SUN.

D

Debra B

Zendo

Is literally "a place you go to meditate." Seemed to sum up my feelings toward the boat. You have to do a renaming ceremony. The only ship in the White Star line that did not have a naming ceremony - they were way behind schedule and it got cancelled - was the Titanic. Only ship in the White Star line to go down.

B

Bob

Something to strive for

Most people think that our boat "Grace" was named after our homeport of Havre de Grace or someone we know. In fact, "Grace" was named as something to strive for in sailing. When my wife and I took our first sailing lessons we noticed that if, say when you're coming about, you do everything right it can be very graceful. If you screw something up, like winding the jib sheet around the winch counter-clockwise instead of clockwise, then things go very wrong, you stumble around and make a lot of noise. So when we sail we strive to be graceful, or get into a state of grace. The religious aspect of the name is there as well. So, sorry Aunt Grace, we didn't name the boat after you!

T

Tom Teagle

"Miss Critique"

My hot tempered little Eye-talian girlfriend and I recently remodeled an older home together. She is an interior designer. I own tools. So we chose to do most of the work ourselves. But never really having learned to use my tools properly, I made numerous mistakes. In retrospect I tore up more than I fixed. She was very critical of my efforts. Little escaped her eye. Eventualy I began refering to her fondly and not so fondly as "Miss Critique". When we got this Hunter 25, no other name would do. Now, true to form, she is over at the dock with a trim carpenter tearing out the insides of her namesake. By rechristening day we will be sporting a bright new interior. Bless her heart.

J

Joseph Karr O'Connor

"Surprise"

When I bought my 1977 Catalina 27 last October it was named "No Worries" and I knew I had to change the name. After all, a sailboat is _all_ worries except for the rare times when sailing on a perfect day. A perfect day happens when all is right with the universe because nothing is broken and there is no imminent danger of sinking:) So I renamed it "Surprise" after the ship in the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian, a series of books I recommend highly. Also because, if you saw the keel bolts, you'd think it a Surprise too:-o BTW, I ignored the renaming ceremony in full, choosing, because of a busy schedule, to do an abbreviated renaming ceremony, and I had some problems on my maiden voyage with the new name. My busy schedule also dictated ignoring some basic maintenance so I'll leave it to you to decide on the cause of my problems as being behind in maintenance or disrespectful to the traditions of the sea. <grin>

Attachments

D

David Guthridge

It's just my..............

My wife reminded me that I had always imagined having a sailboat. "Imagination". I thought it was very origional until while on a Caribean cruise a few months ago we saw a Celebrity ship called Imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.