The name game

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MIKE JAMES

R-BAY_B

I 1st saw my boat at the 1994 Atlantic City Sailboat show. It was love at first sight. I looked at it and said that's my new baby. Of course I'm married and I had to include my 1st mate, my wife Sharon in the name process. Since we sail mainly in Narragansette Bay we came up with R-BAY-B. We often hear people in their boats trying to pronounce the name. Most folks have to say it more than once before the get it.... It's simple but yet, most folks ask me what's Ray Baby stand for. Then the light goes off R-BAY-B is "OUR BABY"

L

Larry

Seraph

Seraphim were the heavenly beings that Isaiah saw flying above God's throne. Seraph is a single one.

M

MAY

ONE RIGHT

BEING A PRO RALLY DRIVER, ONE RIGHT, IS A PRO RALLY CALL MEANING "YOU BETTER SLOW DOWN "NOW" FOR THIS TURN. OUR 410 HUNTER WILL BE OUR LAST BIG BOAT AND ITS TIME TO SLOW OURSELVES DOWN NOW!!!!!

R

R.W. Landau

May, Pro Rally driver...

Do you know Cal Landau? He is my brother. He drove for Dominos Pizza until about 2 years ago. r.w.landau

L

Lewis Garrett

Naked Goose

We used to live on a small farm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Naked Creek ran through the farm and we raised some geese as pets. I came up with combining the names to form the "Naked Goose" name. BUT I was not allowed to use it as a farm name. Later we got into sailing and with a good name like "Naked Goose" looking for a place to be used, all three of our Hunter boats have been named "Naked Goose" and we refuse to sell the name with the boat.

R

Rod

Cloud 9

Although the boat didn't have a name printed on her, the former owners called her "On Holiday". They only had the boat a short time and I'm not sure what the owner before had called my C22. I decided on the name Cloud 9 because the boat is an escape from the hassles of the job and puts me on Cloud 9.

G

Greg Velie

"Wildest Dream"

For eight years my wife and I looked for our first Sailboat. I had mentioned several times to my wife during that time that my idea of the perfect name would be "Wildest Dream", for obvious reasons. During the cold winter month of February 1999 we drove five hours to a marina on Lake Champlain in upstate New York to look at a 1989 Catalina 30 on a cradle, covered with a tarp. Without previously knowing the name of the boat, I stood in the snow and raised the tarp to look at the stern. In udder disbelief, there it was, "Wildest Dream"! We bought the boat!!!

P

Paul L.

Jolly Roger

Bought the boat in 93 and it was named LaBella. While on a visit to local BoatUS wife found and bought a flag that gave the boat it's new name. Black flag, with skull overssed sabers(sliver with gold handles, gold ring where one ear would be, and wearing a red santa hat complete with white ball on end and green Holly leaf. Hence the name "Jolly Roger"

R

Robin Zeller

Lovely Lady

When we bought our Seaward 25 we weren't sure what to call her. While sitting on her trailer in the driveway my wife and I were talking about the boat, and I refered to the boat as a lovely lady, which also happens to be the nickname I have for my wife, Theresa. Pretty soon we were refering to the boat as The Lovely Lady or just as The Lady. We didn't really choose the name, it just kinda stuck.

T

Tim Gillespie

Nereus

We bought our Oday 25 in 2000 from friends for a mere $3,000. She had a silly name at the time, which I forget. We also own an Oday day sailer, which came to us with the name Nereid. We discovered that the Nereid are sea nymphs, and their father is Nereus, a lesser sea god. So, we named our 25 Nereus. We did have a denaming ceremony before our first sail, which included a ritual where we took an item with the boats old name, weighed it down and threw it over the side. We followed the denaming with a naming ceremony . Even had champaign. We found the ceremony on line, probably through this web site. Made us feel good, and we've been safe in all our sailing adventures. We even looked up who Nereus was married to, and named our dinghy after her. Kind of a silly name for a dinghy, but we think it's appropriate. She's called Doris.

Attachments

D

Dunvegan

we changed the name

our boat was named "sloopy" when we bought it....cute, but unoriginal, we thought. we wanted to chooze a name few might have thought of....so we didn't go with your typical boat names. My husband's family is from Scotland originally....clan MacLeod still holds the original clan castle....it is called Dunvegan....so as a tribute to my husbands heritage....we named our boat Dunvegan . we plan to have the MacLeod plaid on board....a painting of the castle....and I have chosen to custom make the clan motto on a flag which will fly whenever we are sailing. cheers!

J

Joel Vannorsdel

Fat Tuesday

Fat Tuesday, of course, comes from New Orleans. It is the last day of carnival around the world. This is the last day before lent and you have to party now to last you for 6 weeks. That really is what a sailboat is for to enjoy yourself and get away. It takes all the pressure and tension out of your body and your crews body and lets you relax. We renamed Fat Tuesday when purchased because it was called Krystina and I don't know anyone named that. We did have a ceremony with champagne and everything. We spoke a little to King Neptuen and asked him look over us in his realm.

G

Gwen

A vote for "carpe sinum"

Of the names posted, "carpe sinum" (Sieze the Bay) is hands-down my favorite.

G

Guy Proctor

name game

My wife named my boat, after searching the web and not wanting to duplicate someone else boat name she came up with NAG ME KNOT..as she thinks that I think she is a nagger......

N

n.vonstaden

Family Foto

My last obat a Santna23 MORC racer wascalled FotoFinish...As i take picture for a living and Like to race, hobie ect...so when we got our little cruising boat...Herr...H-28..really not a racer but fun with the family we decided to callher Family Foto...

J

John Crowe

Scotch'N'Water

My family heritage is Scot and I wear my kilt on special occasions.The logo that appears under the name is a tartan in the shape of a wave. My first thought was to call her Scotch on the Rocks as I am kinda partial to the drink, but I thought twice about naming any boat "on the rocks" so Scotch'N'Water she is.

T

Tom Lueck

"Sir Leansalot"

We get a lot of comments about our Hunter 40's name " Sir Leansalot" We sail mostly on the SF bay.

J

Jim Haynie

Serene Zelda

When I bought my first boat (with a friend) we gave it my wife's nickname "Zelda". Zelda was cute because the way she got that nickname was that her real name is Glenda. When I met her and the relationship became serious it was such big news in the family that "Jimmy finally had a girlfriend!" that everyone was dying to meet her. So, my best friend and first cousin issued the following invitation: "We're having a big cookout, why don't you bring your girlfriend, uh, Zelda, around to meet everyone"? It stuck! Both sides of both families now affectionately know her as Zelda. Hence, the old MacGregor 25 was named Zelda. When I bought my new (ten year old) 1988 Hunter Legend 37 in 1998, I did not want to do something pretentious like "Zelda II" so we started searching. I also liked "Serenity" but there are so many of those out there I was afraid I would lose her in a distant port like the car in the parking lot. I suggested "Zelda the Serene" which Glenda said sounded like Attila the Hun, so we threw it around a bit and came up with "Serene Zelda". It honors my darling, states what we seek, and I've never seen a duplicate.

J

James Weinberger

Jonah's Whale

"Jonah's Whale" named after my two year old son Jonah. We bought her (New sailboat) on his first birthday.

B

BILL ROBB

From memories to boatname

My O'DAY 30 was originally called TEMPTRESS. I liked the name but my kids wanted me to keep my old boatname, STARGAZER, due to the memories that inspired the name. We had taken a few night sails where the clear skies miles away from land showed billions of beautiful stars. We gazed at the heavens saying that this would be a beautiful name for our boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.