The name game

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ruth

"Forever Young"

We had the usual husband/wife discussions about when to get the "big" boat. I was happy with the current (paid off) boat, but my husband wanted to move up before we get too old to fully enjoy sailing her. I told him we were going to be young forever. When a couple of colleagues had their lives cut off too quickly, I gave in, but it seemed fitting to name her after my favorite Dylan song.

S

Steve

"Wild Rumpas"...Ruth,glad to see Dylan............

My first instinct would have been to come up with a "Dylan" related name as I have been a huge fan for years. This would have given my wife only one more reason to "roll her eyes", and want nothing to do with the boat. I wanted something my kids could relate to and would help make sailing interesting to them. Their favorite book at the time was, "Where the Wild Things Are" Its about a naughty little boy who sails night and day to reach the land of Where the wild things are. The monsters name him King of the Wild Things and proclaims: "Let the Wild Rumpas begin" and the big party begins. Hence, my boat was christened "WILD RUMPAS" My kids love it and my very artistic sister painted a beautiful "Max" on the stern.

R

Ramblin' Rod

A combined play on words.

This was a team effort. The boat was not named by the original owners so we had a blank slate, (er transom). Ondine (a very nautical name to begin with) my first mate, came up with Sequel. This being our second boat, it will be the sequel to our prior sailing adventures. Then I modified Sequel to SeaQuell as also being a larger boat, it will tend to handle rough water better than the first. We both immediately loved it, and never considered another.

73mensailed

"Splash" is our boat....It's what we do

But I've always been partial to "Latitude Adjustment"

M

Mark Hirschman

Cloud 9

I named my sailboat "Cloud 9" because that is what I have always felt when I was in tune with the water, wind and weather.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
"Cirrhosis of the River"

Seen on a very large cruising powerboat docked at a popular waterfront bar on the Potomac River in Washington DC. Peter H23 "Raven"

S

SailboatOwners.com

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending June 29, 2003: My boat is named for: 43% My feelings about the boat, wind, and water  30% I kept the name it had or didn't name it 18% A spouse or significant other 10% A nautical pun  1,028 owners responding to the quiz, and an all-time record 287 responses to the discussion post.

B

Bruce McFadden

Filoli

I renamed my boat FILOLI this year. It stands for FIght the good fight, LOve your neighbor, and LIve life to the fullest. I saw it on the history channel that it was a castle and garden in California and that struck a cord.

F

Fred Scott

Why I gave her a Name?

I once had a Shipyard in Edmonton Alberta that built vessels up to 350 tons and the names went like this. "LaCrete" on the Peace River. Klondike on the Athabasca River. "Lafferty" on Mackenzie River. Then it was the "Edmonton Queen" a 450 passenger paddle wheeler on the North Saskatchewan River. So after being retired I got a sailboat and called her "LADY Vi" and I have people comment on it from all over the world, as we have done BC coastal adventures with her.

B

Bill & Jo Ann Sedgwick

The name of our boat upon purchase was "Virgin Gorda" - - - my wife wouldn't let "Fat Virgin" remain. Her father always called her mother "Schatz" (sweetheart in German) - - So we named our Cat34 Hull 1031 "SchatzSea"

P

Patrick

Sinn Fein

Pronounced "Shin Fain," it's Irish for "Ourselves Alone." It's also the name of the political wing of the IRA, but I prefer to think of the quieter, more peaceful connotations of being on the water with those you love.

B

Bruce Thompson

When my grandson was learning to talk he would point to everything and say "what's that", which came out in his way as "Whuzzat". He stored up all out answers and amazed us with his recall of the things we told him about. We loved it and used it the first chance we got with a CAL27, which we traded for our Hunter 25.5. Different boat, but the names stays.

T

Tom Barrett

Boat Name

Wants-N-Tides is the title of a poem - We all have Wants in our lives but how the Tides of our lives go in and out determine what we get.

M

Mary Lou Hunt

Name Game

Name of our boat is CATNIP TOO. This is the second CATNIP and we also have two cats on board. So my sailing partner and I thought that CATNIP TOO would be appropriate as we carry ourselves, two cats and catnip too.

M

Mitch

Windfall

Purchased my H280 new after a nice bonus, hence the name "Windfall". When I received a big tax bill from the county assessor I decided the next boat will be named "Tack Shelter". Saw a J-boat the other day named "J Blo" trailing an inflatable named "Puff Dinghy" :)

M

MIKE JAMES

"R-BAY-B"

I 1st saw my boat at the 1994 Atlantic City Sailboat show. It was love at first sight. I looked at it and sail that's my new baby. Of course I'm married and I had to include my 1st mate, my wife Sharon in the name process. Since we sail mainly in Narragansette Bay we came up with R-BAY-B. We often hear people in their boats trying to pronounce the name. Most folks have to say it more than once before the get it.... It's simple but yet, most folks ask me what's Ray Baby stand for. Then the light goes off R-BAY-B is "OUR BABY"

M

Mary E. Springhorn

Boat Name

Your instructions are rather tautilogic. Anyway. I've owned two sailboats, and have changed their names each time, with out any special ceremony - I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan, but, REALLY! My first boat was called TRILLIUM, and had a green hull and was owned by three folks (the trillium plant, native to northwest Washington, has three leaves and three petals.) However, by the time I bought the boat, Trillium Corporation had proceeded to clear cut and generally rape a lot of the surrounding land, so I really didn't want to be considered part of such doings. I renamed the boat BEST REVENGE, from a George Herbert quote..."living well is the best revenge." On to my present boat. She had a lot of unfortunate names. I've always felt that you shouldn't have to spell your boat's name to the Coasties when you are sinking. And believe me, the former names of my Pearson 424 are really, um, different. Like, the original name....RAWHIDE HARRIS. Anyway. I changed her name to PARALLAX (no ceremonies, please) as this word arises from the ancient root of looking at something from two points (ideal with a ketch) of view; it is nautical....as an "N" in the USPS, I am well aware of the parallax correction in reducing a sight, and therefore, have to believe that the Coast Guard is also aware of that term. I can't know more than them, no? As an aside,the film, THE PARALLAX VIEW, was filmed in Seattle. This is a bonus and had nothing to do with my decision. I am happy in presently having a boat with a unique name,and,that I should not have to spell to the Coast Guard if I am sinking. Mary E. Springhorn P424 PARALLAX, Hull #61

Status
Not open for further replies.