The Future Of In-water Hull Cleaning

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
This device is clearly not intended for the average boat owner, but the video is enjoyable, none-the-less:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Very cool. I suspect especially useful with copper-free hard epoxy bottoms. I suppose you need a bunch of batteries to swap out. I'd guess a third or more labor savings. What do you think?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Could work great on the water line, no need for fancy scuba grear in warm water or with a dinghy. Reminds me of the black and Decker battery operated scrubbing system. I got a lot of use from it till they discontinued the batteries.
History repeating?

Feb 26, 2011
I suppose you need a bunch of batteries to swap out. I'd guess a third or more labor savings. What do you think?
I was the second hull cleaner (first full-time hull cleaner) to get my hands on the Remora. I was told that the battery (12 volts, 21ah) would provide two hours of run time. So I bought three at $260 each, figuring that is what I would need to get through a day's work. Well, that was in November of last year and it turns out that I have only once depleted a battery before a day was done and have cleaned as many as eight boats on a fully charged battery.

Labor savings? Who knows? But I can tell you that one of my buddies who bought one told me after the first day of using it that it just added ten years to his career.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
That is way cool!

Do you often encounter either parts/boats that require different or additional treatment to clean? Are there types of paints where you wouldn't use this tool?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Let your buddy work for 10 more years. You can now clean more boats in the same time and retire earlier. Isn't productivity great? That is really a cool machine. With the right amount of pressure it didn't seem to try and spin you in the opposite direction. Was it easier to hold yourself in place as compared to the armstrong method of scrubbing?

Thanks for sharing your video. Too bad I didn't recognize that boat. ;);)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Must be nice to have more than 1 inch of visibility.

How much do they cost?

Feb 26, 2011
With the right amount of pressure it didn't seem to try and spin you in the opposite direction. Was it easier to hold yourself in place as compared to the armstrong method of scrubbing?
The Remora brushes are mounted on an impeller hub so when the brush rotates, the machine sucks itself to the hull. All the diver has to do is drive it around. That said, it does produce some torque (especially when used at higher rotation speeds) that requires getting used to. You develop a new set of muscles that you don't use so much when cleaning by hand.

Too bad I didn't recognize that boat. ;);)
Cal 39 "Spindrift," Gate 8, Marina Village.

Do you often encounter either parts/boats that require different or additional treatment to clean?
Well, extremely foul bottoms (hard, 3-dimensional growth) that required scraping before cleaning by hand with a pad will still need to be scraped before going over them with the Remora.

Are there types of paints where you wouldn't use this tool?
No. I continue to be surprised at how gentle the machine is. Like any cleaning media a diver might use, the potential to damage the paint exists with the Remora. But by selecting the proper brush and rotation speed for the fouling condition and paint type, I believe the Remora actually removes less paint than cleaning by hand. It absolutely provides a more consistent cleaning as opposed to doing it manually.

I have to ask, how do you hold on, I assume a suction cup thing?

No way would I go in the water in a marina like that.
http://www.electricshockdrowning.org/esd--faq.html
I work in saltwater marinas. Electric Shock Drowning (ESD) rarely (or never) occurs in saltwater, as has been discussed here ad nauseum.

Last edited: