The end of one era, beginning of the next

Apr 13, 2017
Old Rusty 43 Jersey
Many years of ups and downs and the never ending debate of anchors and what makes a 'proper sailer' . Some of us are still around after all these years .

But You Don't Care ;)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
All good things come to a close, not in this case with new ownership. Only good things will continue with SBO. Phil and Bly will be around and Al Fooks whom I can say good things about will continue to bring the professionalism and hard work to SBO. I have known Al Fooks for many years and the only bad thing I can say is putting up with me, Crazy Dave, all these years. It has been a pleasure knowing all three and what they have done for all of YOU.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
It's hard to believe, but 20 years ago Bly and I started SailboatOwners.com with some good ideas,
I fell upon this site 10 years ago excited and nervous as all hell. I bought my first sailboat with no previous experience and no one to ask. I recently sold Lovely Lady and the new owners think I'm some kind of expert. Go figure :) This site has done so much for the beginner.
Thank you very much Phil! Good luck with your future, I'm sure you'll be around.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Been away from the site for months !!! Because of the monsoon rains we've been having this Spring I am not going to the boat this morning and took some time for a quick glance and was amazed at the first message I read: Yours !!! What can I say but Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you. I have been hanging on the site on and off for almost all of those 20 years and thanks to your & Bly's foresight in creating it have received fantastic advice from this great community. Have also had the pleasure of meeting and sometimes sailing with a few of the members, not only here in Canada, but States side as well as Australia and New Zealand.
Over the years, there has been a lot change, some I liked, some I did not, but overall it was always for the best and this has remained and still is a community of folks I really value and trust. Not sure but I believe I might have met Al on a visit to Hunter in 1991 ! He was a welcomed addition to this organization when he jumped in a few years back and I'm convinced he will keep it moving forward. As I'm sure the group will stand by ready to help whenever needed.
So, Very Best of Luck to you and Bly in your new life ! I do hope you return from time to time and keep us posted of your whereabouts. Of course, Very Best of Luck to Al in this new venture.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Phil and Bly: I have enjoyed the evolution of what I have seen for the last 12 to 13 years or so and getting to know many great people that have always shared their knowledge and wisdom freely. Enjoy the future and what she has in store for the both of you. This site has been of tremendous service to me as I'm sure it has for others and I look forward to seeing what is next.

Best regards, Tom

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Thanks for your vision and leadership all these years!

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sarah Creek, Gloucester, VA
Phil, In 1998, Sailboatowners.com was my major inspiration in developing a website for the Catalina National Association (c34.org). Nearly 20 years later, the site is still online and thriving, helping to nurture one of the industry's most active and helpful owner associations. You showed the way.

Nov 2, 2008
Beneteau 331 Chicago (DuSable)
Thank you for a great job with a great site! Helped me a lot through the years,,,,,

Feb 2, 2008
Hunter 380 Santa Barbara
Good luck Phil and Bly. I think I was one of the early subscribers when we bought a Hunter 340 in 1997. You have been a great resource over the years and have made our journey more enjoyable.

Andy Hansom

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Good luck Phil and Bly. I haven't been on this site for as long as you're old salts, but it is my "go to" source for info and I've done a lot of the mods and improvements noted by other owners and Mainesail and all have been a step forward.
I have worked with Al and I am impressed to say the least. He sourced some parts for me in repairs after Hurricane Matthew and saved me a bunch of money with some leg work on his part. I am sure he'll carry on the fine work you have started.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
What, Only 20 years ago? My how does time fly. A few months ago while sorting through some old boat papers I came across old printouts of some of the postings. Think I saved them for nostalgia but can't finger them now. Probably printed on a LaserJet IIp.
Wondered whatever happened to fiery Fred Ficarra (Hunter 34). If I come across the printouts I'll post the names.
Back then our boat was already a decade old but now it's like, three decades. Still going well, lots of stuff added, and the maintenance goes on. Just did a bottom paint (last year with Trinidad?) and topside wax job.
This has been a great forum for us SAILboat owners (and shouldn't leave out Peggie).
It's always a little uneasy when one goes off the beaten path into a new area and we all wish you success in your new endeavor.
-= John Nantz =-

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
In 1998 I was researching cutters and found you and Bly. I bought my 1979 Hunter 37-Cutter and already it has been 19 years. I still call it HOW and besides my mail it is the only site always open on this old laptop. That old Hunter along with you, Bly, and me have had quite a journey. All the best in your future endeavors.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Thanks for being there especially when I was new to old boat ownership; I don't know if I could have taken on all the projects I did without all the wonderful help I received from those on this forum. A wonderful helpful resource.
My best wishes to you for all you have given to us!!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Thanks Phil! SBO has been the best e-experience I have had online. Great job! Enjoy your retirement from it.