The Dreaded "Stuck Keel" on a V222

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
So everything was going so well. I had done my research, talked to you guys a lot and at last the weekend came. I constructed a nice "keel cradle" out of 4x4's and solid oak 2x6's:

IMG_5705.JPG

Then I added casters to the it and made it to fit perfectly over a motorcycle jack:

IMG_5733.JPG

The pivot bolt came out very easily, a couple taps with hammer after putting some pressure on it from underneath with the small jack to the right of the motorcycle jack above.

The moment came and we lowered the jack after removing the pivot bolt, and nothing. The keel moves easily in and out of the trunk. It's the area around the pivot bolt that has "swollen" causing the keel to be "wedged." In the picture above the keel's pivot bolt is actually removed.

Here is my questions: I've drilled a small hole, about a 1/4 inch in the top of the keel trunk in the cabin. From there I can use a steel rod and "tap" the top of the keel. The hole is a above the waterline and can easily be glassed over later. Does anyone have another way? I've also "dug out" as much of the rusted iron poweder and fiberglass as possible.

If I'm on the right track, this is the point where support of my idea from others is crucial! Has anyone done this? How did you deal with it? My fear is damaging the keel trunk, though I suppose that can get some glass too. Any suggestions or ideas are apprciated.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Is there any area around the keel one can use a wooden wedge from below to widen the keel trunk?

Jan 25, 2017
I actually wedged a very thin puddy knilfe in between the trunk and the area right below the pivot bolt on the bottom. It was so snug I could barely get the very thin, small puddy knife out. I think the "tapping from the top" may be the way to go. Not certain yet, I have all day at work today to think about it!

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I cannot see any problems with knocking the thing out from the top. Wack it smartly and maybe use some lube to help it slide once it starts to move.
Be ready when it comes loose.
Good luck

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
How bout lower the stern end of the keel down, with the cradle as low as possible. Presumably, this would cause the swing part of the keel to lower. Assuming it clears the trunk (yeah, I know - assumptions), slide a 1x4 or similar into the gap between the keel and the trunk, as far forward as possible. Secure it to anything forward, then raise either the jack the cradle, crank the keel cable, or both and see if you can force the forward part down. Also, WD-40 or similar into the trunk at the pivot point. Worth a try if you have the clearances.

Jan 25, 2017
That might be a good solution. I haven't completely given up on "wacking from the top." I think it might be a combination of things. I'm definately dumping some WD40 in there.

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
I think someone else on here had to do the "wacking" to get their keel out. But I think doing all the above may be needed to get it to move. You may need to drill a bigger hole up top so you can get something a little bigger in to hit.

JamieV

Jun 22, 2018
Macgregor V222 Any New York lake
I’m sorry I have no suggestions. I have the same boat only I acquired it with the keel removed. Once it’s out, we can surly exchange ideas as to it’s restoration and getting it back in. Keep at it and I’m sure it will work out.

Jan 25, 2017
Sounds like I'm on the right track. I appriciate everyones suggestions. I'll keep everyone in the loop.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
Been there done that. If possible lower the rear, stern section of the keel to a floor jack lined up with the center line of the boat. Place the 2x4 as far forward as possible and then raise the floor jack. You can use a hack saw blade gripped with a vice grips, turn the teeth to the keel and saw the rust off. A high pressure washer jet works well too, remember to point it to the keel too.

Jan 25, 2017
Success! I'm happy to report after a combination of ALL YOUR suggestions, the keel gave up this weekend.

IMG_5800.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

NOTE THE CLEARANCE

IMG_5792.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG