The boat is (was) finally ready

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The new engine/drivetrain is good, J-prop is pitched, new propane system is in, boat is cleaned up, waxed and was ready to go. I looked at the engine panel and the temp gauge is sloshing with water. Called Beta West and said I wanted a new gauge. Dealer also talked to them. They asked if the gauge is still working which it was. Not covered under warranty. Dealer and I discussed and he has to follow chain of command. I do not..So I called Beta in NC and got nowhere. Beta NC is not the national boss. So, I called Beta West back and said the gauge is not working. Wait!! You told me it was! Well, there is so much water/moisture on the inside of lens that I cannot see the gauge. If I cannot see the gauge, it’s not working.. So, in the end, it’s getting sent back for analysis. They wouldn’t just send me one with a promise of return...i did get a confirmation that all idiot lights/alarms work without the gauge.
Then, upon leaving the boat, I usually check battery voltage..12.3V!! Huh? Turned charger off and on twice. Faulted out both times. Fault code says inadequate air flow. So, this wekend, I’ll stick the vacuum to the inlet screen and see what happens. Might have to remove and take it apart. Xantrex Trucharge 2 60a..at least this stuff doesn’t keep me at the dock..

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sheesh Mark. Quite the list. You can work it out. See you on the water real soon.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Because the engine is red, I'll betcha that they just gave you the wrong black colored background gauges - they should have been red, too. :)

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
That would be cool! Just took the cover off the charger. I was hoping for a lot of dust and dirt as the fault was fan related. Things are as clean as when it was made. Fans turns very easily and spins nicely. I sorta expected that as the compartment is very well ventilated and clean. There is a bit of burnt smell so this charger is probly toast. I’m not very impressed with the build quality. There are a lot of heavy high rise parts, heat sinks, chokes, etc on the boards. A lot of epoxy between items to keep from vibrating. No conformal coatings on the boards. I spent 37 yrs with a major aerospace company working electromagnetics at all levels. So, I know what to look and smell for..Anyway, I think Xantrex is just up the road in BC, so I”ll still give them a call. I’m predicting Maine and I will have a transaction...Admiral is not gonna be happy...

Dec 25, 2000
Hmm. Self installed an Xantrex Freedom 24 many years ago (2003/4 as I recall) and remains strong as new. Purchased it as-new from their online store for 60% off list.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Just ordered one from Maine. Hope it gets here in a reasonable timeframe with all the weather issues. Meanwhile, photography trip in the Palouse area..SW Wa state..

Dec 25, 2000
You mean SE WA state? :ass: Had to look it up; never heard of it growing up in SW WA, Willapa Bay.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Can I blame that on auto correct? Was just through Raymond last week. On way to Long Beach.. Hey “W” is right next to “E”..I do have an excuse!!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
having a great time in the islands = now traveling solo after enjoying the company of @jssailem , @Stu Jackson and @leo310

Weather is wonderful - even good sailing weather if it blowing in the direction you want to go -- tomorrow will be a short sail from Friday Harbor to Barlow Bay - to test the new anchor.

love it!!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
On my way home now. @Terry Cox Barlow is the inner bay. Very calm last night after the rain storm. Plus I can walk short way and get hot shower at family cabin!!