Registered users don't see ads

The Alden Yachts Rendezvous at Mystic Seaport

Discussion in 'Alden General Chat' started by TomY, Dec 4, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    879 posts, 269 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    is going to happen! Scheduled for July 27, 28 and 29 in the summer of 2018.

Details will be posted here as the plans evolve. I plan to attend by water, as well as several other Alden owners. Anybody else interested?

Please post your thoughts here about how we can reach other Alden owners and questions in general.
    Alden Rendezvous blank.jpg

2. Don S/V ILLusion

Don S/V ILLusion

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    4,819 posts, 148 likes
    Alden 50
    US Sarasota, Florida
    That schedule limits participation for us and perhaps others. We had hoped it was scheduled earlier in the summer given it's the 'you-know-what' season for our return trip home.

3. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,406 posts, 294 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego San Diego
    All the more reason to sail north for the summer and hole up in New England, no? In all seriousness, I'm from New York and have no desire to move back to the east coast, but the idea of spending the nice summer months in various places in New England is on my bucket list. All of the various museums and historic points of interest in and around Mystic are just the tip of the iceberg.

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,522 posts, 742 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    I have to wonder. If I could arrange a visit and it coincided with the Alden Rendezvous, would there be a day sail in that experience?

5. Don S/V ILLusion

Don S/V ILLusion

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    4,819 posts, 148 likes
    Alden 50
    US Sarasota, Florida
    I agree. We enjoyed sailing around New England when we lived there.

My problem is that summer ends there and the weather turns to ...... by November. Staying isn't an option so we'd have to head south mid-hurricane season.

6. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    2,962 posts, 260 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY Greenport, NY
    It's a ferry ride for me, or a easy sailing trip. I'd love to see a collection of Alden's together.

7. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    879 posts, 269 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    Ha! So would we! A "collection of Alden's' together", spanning a century of yacht design, could be a very eclectic mix of boats.

I think the location, close to the John Alden Design office that was in Boston for a century or so, is strategic. Mid summer in New England, with many sailboat events ongoing(and a date that was available to Scott), is prime time (but unfortunately not perfect for Don headed south that time of year).

Right now, Scott Kraft is doing the hard work of organizing with Mystic Seaport Museum, The Classic Yacht Owners Association (they will sponsoring the event), and various facilities in the area.

He's keeping in touch with a few of us that are doing what we can to promote the event.

Luckily for me, I've made the trip to Southern New England several times, from Maine. Plus our son is now working and living in Boston and our daughter is living and working in Brooklyn NY. We'll be getting together on the water with them. Great fun to look forward to.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.