Registered users don't see ads

The Adventure Begins

Discussion in 'Day Sailers' started by John&Jan, Nov 14, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. John&Jan

John&Jan

Joined Nov 9, 2018
    2 posts, 6 likes
    Okay 23
    SueLee US Groton
    untitled-21.jpg Two years ago Jan and I moved to Connecticut and had to leave our beloved 1968 Mariner 40 (a wooden ketch) in California. We lived aboard for five years and sailed her from San Diego for another ten.

For the past two years, we have been without a boat. Jan was tired of me mopping around the house so we just purchased a 1983 O'Day 23! She is rough but should come back with some love and some West Systems... and some help from our new friends here.

My first book was entitled "Changing Tacks: Lessons I've Learned from an Old Wooden Boat" (shameless plug for Amazon!). The adventure has already begun as we towed our 23 down Long Island from the Hamptons, through New York City (where all of the drivers are so patient and courteous...) and back to Groton, CT.

Our very first boat was an O'Day 222 and even though SueLee (our 23) is just sitting in the driveway, we've already fallen in love. We must look silly sitting in the cockpit dreaming of being on the water, but haven't you done the same?

TomY and jon hansen like this.
  2. Richard19068

Richard19068

Joined Jun 11, 2004
    730 posts, 57 likes
    Oday 31
    US Redondo Beach
    You don't look silly at all. Good luck and have fun!

3. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    8,137 posts, 656 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the forum ! Looks like fun.. SueLee is going to be a project, but not nearly as much of one as the Mariner! Again Welcome.. Post more pictures !

4. Will D

Will D

Joined Aug 22, 2018
    29 posts, 6 likes
    O'Day Daysailer
    Stargazer US Pueblo Reservoir
    This is a great forum with a wealth of knowledgable sailors eager to share their wisdom and stories. And if you write another book, I'd be more than happy to edit it...I'm a freelance professional.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.