That Stupid Rub Rail

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
In the Governor's Cup this weekend on the Lower Potomac the rub rail on the port side pulled out again. Last time I re-inserted it I used some marine adhesive (Lot-Tite Marine Adhesive - appears similar to 3M 5200) to glue it in the back and that worked for a while. I recall some older discussions about our rub rails, but do not remember if anyone had any fixes. I hate the thought of totally replacing the whole thing, so are there any other fixes for the existing one?

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
You may not be able to replace it without changing the track also. I have the same issue and Catalina told me years ago that when my 2001 was made one of their buyers bought a cheaper rub rail and that's why it comes off. What they stock now won't fit my boat without changing the extruded aluminum. Obviously an expensive solution.

I mostly try to protect it and don't let the fenders rub up and down on it. When it comes off I put it back in the track but it would be nice to stop doing that.

I tested using 4200 in one area and that seems work. I am thinking the rubber part needs to come off and both parts cleaned before doing the rest.

I feel your pain! Hope you find a solution.

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
I "fixed" ours twice by pushing (pounding !) back into the track before taking on the larger task. I also used adhesive, but to limit the tendency to pull out, I pulled it out on one side to within a foot of the bow and reseated with adhesive. Then trimmed the couple of inches that it had stretched and refastened the stern fitting. Repeat on other side. No problems for over 6 years now.

Sep 29, 2008
Sigh, I did stretch it out a bit. Guy at home depot recommended an adhesive that has a stronger hold and may try that again. The thought of taking that aluminum section off, fixing the holes and installing a new one will be a pain.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Why do 30+ footers have rub strips?

Sep 29, 2008
I dunno, I never really need it. But I don't want to remove it and have to patch the gelcoat where they screwed the aluminum frame to the hull.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
My 30+ footer has a " rub rail". It was an option. $700.00 U.S. I insisted. Are you familiar with the insane Michigan piers??
The rub strips have save my shiny glass a couple of times. :)

Sep 29, 2008
When it is not acting like a sea anchor during a race it is useful. :confused:

FWIW, We took 5th in our class this year (right in the middle). Great race this year.:biggrin: I just hope I made PaulJ proud this year. :poke: