Testing a SSB

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Nice SSB - ICOM M-802 on a newly - purchased Hunter 41. Have been reading up and wanting to use this (yes - and forking out for a license), but even just flipping through the channels not much there - don't know if it is the unit or the operator (don't judge, new at this please). yes - the boat is disconnected from shore power and nothing major is running - such as the generator, or even the refrigeration, but nothing really there. Had a Marine service tech check the voltage, for voltage drops, connections etc - nothing seems amiss. he suggested I check in on this forum and see if anyone had any suggestions - boat is near Atlantic City NJ - Maybe a specific frequency and or time of day to try to tune into that would be expected to be strong - Suggestions ?

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Is it connected to an antenna? Is the antenna tuner powered on? I recommend you not key the mic until you verify that the antenna is connected and working properly.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
It might be that there isn't any traffic. Do you pick up the time signals? Look for SSB nets and tune in when they are on the air.
I got rid of my SSB and installed a ham unit.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The problem I have with nets is that they cannot always be heard due to propagation. However, seeing how you are in NJ, you should have no issues hearing the NOAA HF Weather Fax broadcast out of Boston.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/hfmarsh_links.htm

All frequencies are USB and 1.9KHz below the listed frequency. i.e. 6340.5KHz would be 6338.6KHz on the dial of the radio.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
HF can be flakey. I've seen it not work within sight of a receiver, but someone 2000 miles away responded. It gets worse during periods of solar flares. Would should be able to pick up WWV at 10 and 15 MHz (10,000 and 15000 KHZ)

Ken

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
2.5, 10, 15 and 20 mhz have time broadcasts 24/7/365. No matter what the propagation is you should be able to get one of them fairly strongly. If you can't, then there is definitely some problem, most likely with the antenna.
You will need a SWR meter in the line to the antenna to tell you what's going on when transmitting, but if you don't know what that is or how to use it, it would be best to get a tech to come aboard and check out the system before you damage something.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
On the ham side, 14.300 is Avery active frequency. There are a number of nets on it, and you can check the schedule at:

14300.net

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
As mentioned the time signals (5, 10, 15 MHz) should be fairly easy to hear. One way to learn about propagation is to study for the ham exam. Another way is to download a program such as Winlink or Airmail that has a built in propagation module, enter your position and then let the program calculate the best frequencies for you. You can then try to find the closest time signal above.

If your tuner clicks, this is a god start but you need to make sure that the antenna is connected properly. Check to see if the tuner can achieve a VSWR of less than 1.5.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
One more thing to consider: Most likely you don't posses a radio telephone license. Without one it is illegal to repair or modify your radio, antenna system, or other parts associated with transmission. The fines if you get caught are substantial.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but it may be better to pay as technician.

Ken

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Ken, as an adv ham and former aerospace RF engineer, I would do my own install of a marine SSB radio/tuner/antenna. I do not hold a radiotelephone license. Are you saying that my install would be “illegal”?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Mark, Ken said "repair or modify". I agree in part with him. As Amateur Radio Operators we do not have the license to repair or modify our gear if it directly affects the transmission characteristics of the equipment. But we do it all the time. LOL I even do it. But the key here is do "we" know what we are doing? In most cases, Mariners are not bonafide radio operators. That is why there is no test for getting a Marine Operators license. However, on board large container ships I believe holding a Radio Telephone License with endorsements (or it's equivalent) is required by law.

All the test that were mentioned did not require (except the SWR test) transmitting a signal. That requires a license of some type depending on the band/frequency one is using AND if the radio is certified for that band/frequency.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
As Amateur Radio Operators we do not have the license to repair or modify our gear if it directly affects the transmission characteristics of the equipment. But we do it all the time. LOL I even do it.
Merry Christmas @Brian D, you as a master radio operator and modifier I only have one question:

1770A202-B182-4FFD-ADD0-71DF6CBB2AD4.jpeg

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Of installing or tweaking the install of SSB equipment is illegal, I'd guess 80% of SSB owners are criminals.
The law is aimed at modifying the system in such a way to cause major issues, such as bumping up the output power beyond legal limits.
I believe this law also applies to VHF radios. How many vhfs are installed by a licenced tech? But if you add an amplifier to exceed the 25 watt max then you would be afowl of the law.