Registered users don't see ads

Teak cabin top rails

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by kclancy, Feb 12, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. kclancy

kclancy

Joined Jul 25, 2016
    108 posts, 26 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Sacramento
    Hi All,

I am in the process of making my exterior teak look good again. I have a 1972 C22. It is not a pop-top. The teak rails that fasten the cabin top were installed from the cabin interior with wood screws. There is not a lot of room to fasten these screws because the cabin top slides take up a lot of the area. I am concerned that I will put in a screw that will go thru the slide area of the rail. The PO put many misplaced screws in this track and I don't want to repeat that if I can help it. It seems almost like drilling blind from beneath and hoping for the best. There must be a technique to do this procedure.
    How have you been able to successfully attach the top rails? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Kevin

2. boatclint

boatclint

Joined Mar 8, 2016
    1 posts, 0 likes
    catalina 22
    us st marys ga
    If you pull the exsisting screws out you can put new one size bigger ones w/ a squirt of calk back in same holes of both cabin top and rails No need to drill anything

3. kbgunn

kbgunn

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    70 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 1986 30 TR
    4410 US Lake Lewisville

4. kclancy

kclancy

Joined Jul 25, 2016
    108 posts, 26 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Sacramento
    This looks like the ticket. I have never used anything like this though. Do I:
    1. Drill a pilot hole in the rail and screw in the hanger bolt into the rail. This would leave the "bolt end" sticking out of the teak rail.
    2. Drill the cabin top.
    3. Bed with butyl and insert thru the cabin top.
    4. Tighten from inside the cabin with with washers and nuts.
    5. Drink a beer and go sailing!

If I have missed anything or misunderstood (highly likely), please advise.

Thanks!
    Kevin

pateco likes this.
  5. kbgunn

kbgunn

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    70 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 1986 30 TR
    4410 US Lake Lewisville
    You got it exactly right. Finish with an acorn nut inside the cabin if the bolt extends past the nut. Prevents splitting your scalp if you happen to bump it.

Good luck and get out there on the water!

kclancy likes this.
  6. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,435 posts, 317 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Just put everything back the same way it came off... mark each screw if they are different lengths to put back in their same holes. Don't use bolts... it looks better with screws and finish washers. I've removed my runners a number of times for refinishing.... no drilling, no new fasteners... just new sealant.

Here's a tip.... don't tighten the screws all the way down until you are satisfied all are in place.

Gene Neill likes this.
  7. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    2,009 posts, 525 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    On my Hunter 31 the screws dont extend into the cabin but are just screwed to the deck. I have resisted removing them to refinish as I am worried about being able to reattach them securely without causing leaks

8. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,527 posts, 405 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego
    I got rid of mine... see my post in your question about deck organizers.

9. kclancy

kclancy

Joined Jul 25, 2016
    108 posts, 26 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Sacramento
    How do you keep the cabin top on the boat? Maybe you have a pop-top model?

10. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,527 posts, 405 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego
    Oops... I meant that I got rid of my teak Grab-rails... I did also get rid of the teak cabin-top slide rails, but I replaced them with the starboard plastic ones from Catalina Direct. Stainless screws from the bottom, I have no real issues with how they are placed and they hold well.

kclancy likes this.

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.