Syntef use (not the Moldable version)

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
In searching the posts on whether to use the Syntef lube on Teflon packing as Western Pacific recommends. Almost all posts I’ve found confuse this with the Moldable packing product. The only post I’ve found was something MS posted suspecting it might have contributed to water starvation in one of his installs.
I’m not using Graphite this time around so was hoping for feedback on whether to use. My current plan is to replace the Teflon packing again in a couple of seasons with the hope that something like Synbraid hits the marine market. I have a SS shaft so although electrolysis may not be that big a deal, I’m choosing to follow Maine Sail’s advice this go round.
So Syntef or just packing? Thanks....

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Been doing the same research.. any one know the status of SynBraid?
I was the OP and never found anymore information so I went with Teflon packing and kept the lube in its package (didn’t use it). I don’t think Synbraid has gone anywhere (Mainesail can correct me on this).
Teflon seems to be the best compromise for me...

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
Thanks for the reply..The Teflon is the PTFE white stuff? Are you getting a "drip-less" experience with it? I've used the GORE GFO packing on my old boat, and it was drip-less. But based on what I'm learning here, sounds like the graphite contributes to electrolysis and I did go through 1-2 zincs on the shaft each season (5 months in NE waters). So just trying to decide if there is a better option at this stage... Thanks!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I repacked the stuffing box last season. I used a traditional teflon impregnated packing (looks like the old flax type but with white teflon added, wasn't the black type). It called for the Syntef lube so I used it as directed.

It is a nearly drip less situation. I was concerned and loosened the box until I forced a drip but never felt excessive heat from the stuffing box. I'm happy with it so far but you probably want to monitor the box at first to be sure you've got some water cooling. I think you can expect less dripping from the new products but how dripless? I didn't want to push it that far.

I believe I got 10 seasons out of the last teflon impregnated packing before renewing it. I'm not sure but I don't think I added anything to that 10 years ago. I expect a long life out of this repacking.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thanks for the reply..The Teflon is the PTFE white stuff? Are you getting a "drip-less" experience with it? I've used the GORE GFO packing on my old boat, and it was drip-less. But based on what I'm learning here, sounds like the graphite contributes to electrolysis and I did go through 1-2 zincs on the shaft each season (5 months in NE waters). So just trying to decide if there is a better option at this stage... Thanks!
Not sure if you were referring to my post or not, but yes the white stuff. Not getting a drip-less experience as I opted to keep it traditional (a couple of drops a minute but more importantly I check the temp with an IR thermometer).
The trade off for me was keeping the graphite potential out of my running gear. I keep an oversized sponge under the stuffing box while under way and a small plastic container with a shop rag in it while at the dock. A good compromise for me...