Swinomish redux

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks.
I am using Coastal Explorer on my laptop. CE identify's tide sites at La Conner and Padilla Bay.
Coming up from the south do you ride the last of the flood tide up the channel? Seems if I guess right I could ride the flood in towards La Conner, and out North on the Ebb.
I draw 5 feet. Will there be specific depth challenges? Once you enter the southern entrance about how long to La Conner (based on slack water)?

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I hate that I have had the s$$# scared right out of me when they Scream and fly off and your only a few feet away and they got startled and at night in the dark so do I But they are so very nice to look at but hate them on the Docks at Night.

Dec 25, 2000
Once you enter the southern entrance about how long to La Conner (based on slack water)?
About 15-20 minutes. Since we keep our boat in Shelter Bay just south of town, we're either leaving the marina on an ebb, or returning on a flood. Either way, I make sure there is at least a plus one foot tide state before returning or leaving. Our boat also draws five feet and although water gets pretty thin in places at a plus one tide state, I can usually pass through without a problem.

A few thin spots, in the south entrance around buoy #6 and shoaling on the west side of the channel just south of the Shelter Bay entrance. Also shoaling on the outside corner as you make the turn into the gorge.

North entrance, as you approach the swinging bridge shoaling on the outside corner as you prepare to make the turn. I tend to favor the outside corners further south past the twin fixed bridges as there is some shoaling in places.

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks Terry. Will be making that trip sometime in the next 30 days. If you don't find me stuck in the mud I'll give you a shout and share with you of my experience.

Dec 25, 2000
You are welcome, John. No worries and I look forward to your writeup.

Oct 22, 2014
Hi All. Making plans to spend the night of the 29th August in La Conner, WA.
They want to know where I want to stay F or G dock - Inside or Outside. Any suggestions?

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
All the ties are on the easterly side of the channel. Nothing on the west.

There are two guest docks in the port facilities (two separate basins) and they are both aligned north to south. One basin then the fuel dock then the second basin. I always end up on the outside - the river side - of these but that is actually kind of silly when you can tie on the inside and avoid the annoying traffic wakes.

There are also the city docks and these are to the south of the port facilities. Yellow signs mark the city ones but no power, no water on the city docks.

Be sure to verify which way the current is actually running before you commit to a tie up or you will get an unpleasant surprise. I do the following - make a wide approach, put it in neutral, and verify which way the current runs before you make your final approach to parallel any of these docks. And always bow into the current.

Have never tried Shelter Bay for an overnight - Shelter Bay is immediately south of LaConner proper. I am told by Terry they will accommodate overnights - but Shelter Bay is not convenient to the Calico Cupboard bakery at LaConner's south end.

Charles

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Thank you. Will give the marina call. Like the idea of inside if space available. Do you know if the transient dock F is in the North or south basin?

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
John

Aerial photo with labels here.

http://www.portofskagit.com/images/uploads/fig2_extfac.pdf

F and G are both fair game for transients. I just look for a vacant spot at the south basin. And if not then I go to the north basin. Prefer south thus closer walk to the restaurants/shops.

I guess it is designated G north F south - but alphabet aside it is all plenty obvious. You really can't miss

Charles

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Charles has it right. Try and stay on the inside due to wakes and logs floating down the channel. Float for awhile and see what the currents are doing. Even the north basin isnt far from town. You can walk the full length of "town" in five minutes with no stops.....there's a couple of cool museum at the top of the hill.

Oct 22, 2014
Looking forward to the visit. Sent the port a request for space.

Dec 25, 2000
Hi John, just as an alternative, Shelter Bay offers guest moorage at $30/night for any size boat. It is but a short (ten minute) dinghy ride across the channel to the south end of town. No worries here about current, crowding, etc. Best to call them for a reservation at (360) 466-3805.