Survivor

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Great job in mooring your boat! It survived sustained winds of over 90mph and gusts over 110mph!!

Mar 28, 2016
O'Day 222 Key Largo
We're in the clear (literally)!!! Our previously unnamed sailboat has now been christened "Sloopy", for her amazing ability to "hang on" through the worst of Irma on Blackwater Sound, Key Largo.

Joe

IMG_1730.png

Mar 28, 2016
O'Day 222 Key Largo
35 lb Delta anchor, 50 ft 5/16" BBB chain and a 35 ft 1/2" nylon rope bridle to both forward cleats. Took off all sails, lines, boom, rudder and outboard. Attached the jib halyard to the forward deck eye and winched it tight to help the forestay resist the wind loads. And a lot of luck!

Joe

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
35 lb Delta anchor, 50 ft 5/16" BBB chain and a 35 ft 1/2" nylon rope bridle to both forward cleats.
Joe
So, you had 80' of scope? Was the water about 10' deep? In your pic I saw on Facebook, you had some chafe - chafe padding would have helped at the chock. Or was it chafe from the cleat? Can't remember...

I'm super impressed! First, with how stripped down you got the boat. And second, how she rode it out. And third, I've seen the puny backers on my 192's forward cleats - glad mine lives on an inland lake that doesn't see much in the way of hurricanes. Well, not like that, anyway!

Mar 28, 2016
O'Day 222 Key Largo
The water there is shallow, normally about 4-5 ft. Judging by how high the water was at the dock, I think 8 ft deep during the storm. I figured the length of scope based on 10 ft deep surge. Was not that concerned if it dragged a bit due to short scope, there were no other boats to worry about and the sound is pretty big. Figured the initial east winds would push her into open water, then back to shore as the hurricane passed and the winds came from the southwest. As it turned out I don't think it dragged a bit... took a GPS reading when I anchored and it was within the swing radius when I got her back. The chafe on the bridle was from the cleat (I expected some), but the cleat was not big enough to fit the line with the chafe guard attached, or to fit shackles, which was my first choice. If I ever have to do this again (hope not!) I'll try wire rope slings, small enough to fit the eye through the hole in the cleat, looped back and attached to the bridle with a shackle.
wire-rope-sling-500x500.jpg

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I'm not sure there's much one can do to reduce cleat chafe, short of making sure your warp is thick enough to cope. Not sure I'd use a wire strop like that, because I'd be concerned it would saw its way through the warp faster.

All in all, I'm thrilled your 222 made it through the storm. It would be so much more sad if you were posting stories about how your boat was ruined by the storm! :D