Surviving a cold water dunk

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I plan on printing that out and making sure that everyone on my boat understands this. Excellent article and I really appreciate you sharing this with us.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
That was a very informative read as well as some links to other no bull articles thanks for posting
I always wear my PFD it's a rule on our boat that if you are heading out of the cockpit you MUST wear a PFD, while the water isn't cold during the summer we just think being cautious is best. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
WOW.

That is a definite article to Save. I plan to watch the video mentioned at the end as well.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Thanks for sharing, Ken. I was familiar with the Cold Shock Response leading to immediate drowning, but not the other dangers. Particularly not familiar with the need to monitor the victim following recovery - scary how many people I know just got back in the boat and continued sailing.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Terrific article, thanks. We sail on Lake Michigan which is cold spring and late fall. It is a rule in our boat that we don’t leave the dock unless life jackets are on, everyone. I had a Coast Guard Auxillian tell me they’d die before recovery so why bother. Well, this explains why so well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
THANK YOU KEN.
Where do you come up with these insights? If you sail the waters of the Salish Sea this should be mandatory reading.
Thanks.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Thanks Ken. Great article by the experts. For all those that think the first thing to do when someone goes MOB is to hove to...
"If you witness a man overboard, getting the life ring directly to that person is critical. Vital. Step one. Must do it. "

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ken, thanks!

The cold water shock and cold water incapacitation are real killers. The advice about slow warming is a life saver. Apparently lactic acid builds up in the muscles and when circulation to the extremities slows it is not removed. If the extremities are warmed too quickly too much lactic acid enters the blood stream and that causes heart failure. Or least that the theory I learned back in the whitewater kayaking days. It was also the time that many of learned to fear cold water shock.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
hypothermia is not just a cold water problem. in august 1996 i was sailing back home at dusk in warm lake erie when the rudder pinned hard. so i went over the back transom to figure out what was up,wearing my 90 degree day shorts and tee. after 20 minutes of being in the water i was shivering so badly the crew had to haul me up the ladder, i couldn't make it my self. ( the drive chain had jumped off the sprocket inside the pedestal, and the quadrant had pinned ..) now i carry a wetsuit .