Stunning Images

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice. Liked the touch of the Bagpipes to affirm that it was "Scotland" just in case one does not believe the narration.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The tides are not just in the "free" water, but in the subsurface also. I have seen Lunar tides effects from a sensor that is 2 miles deep in a petroleum well.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The tides were explained to me, by my college physics professor as being caused by the Sun and the Moon pulling the Earth out of position (causing it to wobble). The ocean surface nearest the other bodies is pulled the hardest, the solid Earth follows and the oceans on the far side trail behind, thus high tide on opposite sides of the Earth at the same time.
Interesting idea. It sounds a little simplistic, but maybe.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The tides were explained to me, by my college physics professor as being caused by the Sun and the Moon pulling the Earth out of position (causing it to wobble). The ocean surface nearest the other bodies is pulled the hardest, the solid Earth follows and the oceans on the far side trail behind, thus high tide on opposite sides of the Earth at the same time.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I like the simplest explanation of all: They just follow the tide tables.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY

-Will (Dragonfly)
The tides were explained to me by my mother, and something about the frequency of the damn package changes.
5CBAEE4A-ECDD-4AB1-AA43-DA1C65F3D0A0.jpeg

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Just found out while researching this topic that there is something called a "tide clock".

Well, I just had to get me one. Even though there isn't much use for one in Oklahoma, I thought it might come in handy on our up coming trip to the Florida Keys. Then researching some more I found out how complicated predicting the tides can be in some places. Just luckily, it should work for us in Florida.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just found out while researching this topic that there is something called a "tide clock".

Well, I just had to get me one. Even though there isn't much use for one in Oklahoma, I thought it might come in handy on our up coming trip to the Florida Keys. Then researching some more I found out how complicated predicting the tides can be in some places. Just luckily, it should work for us in Florida.
They aren't necessary... but nice to look at. Even the most basic marine gps will have accurate tide info... so you don't need to do anything than punch in the date.
Before it was common on gps devices you could always find a pocket sized tide table on the counter at any chandlery.... often they were complimentary.

GPS tide features will use your location to give the most accurate and relevant readings.. but you can get info for any other location also. Besides times and heights, modern chartplotter will show tidal current data also.... pretty handy info....

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Just found out while researching this topic that there is something called a "tide clock"..
I set mine to a printed tide schedule for Annapolis. However, whenever you go very far up or down or across the bay, the tides vary everywhere you go. I hung mine in the bathroom. so I could see the state of the tide at my slip.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
As long as there isn’t obvious signs of clipping. That could make a mess of the bellows.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
When we did our first cruise up the East Coast, I was getting frustrated trying to find a tide table for a couple of places we had anchored in. It took me a while to realize there was no tide table for these places, because there was no tide there.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
When we did our first cruise up the East Coast, I was getting frustrated trying to find a tide table for a couple of places we had anchored in. It took me a while to realize there was no tide table for these places, because there was no tide there.
Sounds like an inland lake.