Structural?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Without knowing, it sure looks like a stringer. The profile shape is odd. Is there anything like a rubrail on the outside? Maybe it is a nailer for attaching a rail or plate to the outside surface.
It looks like it is located in an out of the way spot. Is it in the way of something you want to put there?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I'm no engineer, but the white bulkhead by the v berth is probably structural. The horizontal upper wood strip is for the storage shelf and I would guess not structural. The lower strip looks like it is where you removed the top of the settee base that is the cover for the storage bins. I would guess that the settee structure, specifically including the bulkheads that support the top and the vertical "wall" do add some structure.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Are you going to be "returning" the rib back after the rebuilding process? Are you sailing the boat while doing these repairs?

I doubt (but am not sure) whether the horizontal rib is structural; however you need a way to secure the interior bunk and back up there. If it's simply glued to the hull, then I'd remove it carefully ; and, then replace it as it used to be.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I would like to move the shelf around the cabin. Is this piece structural?
My 2006 B32 has the same "shelf" that runs about the whole length of the boat. In the vee and the quarterberth, it is a shelf with wood and a lip. In the salon, it supports the seat backs. In the nav and galley, it supports the cabinets. It probably helps the hull keep its intended shape until they attach the deck piece. As Beneteau did, put a wooden shelf on it and make it functional.

Apr 27, 2010
In the 23, that shelf doesn't really support anything under it. It is a piece of plywood about 4 or 5 inches wide that is tabbed (glued) to the hull, with a teak strip screwed to the outer edge to make it look better and to act as a sort of fiddle. The "mouse fur" covering the inner hull wraps down onto the top surface, so the shelf plywood isn't even finished. The shelves in the main cabin only go up to (not through) the front bulkhead; those in the v berth are not connected to the main cabin ones. It might serve some purpose in helping the hull shape, but I personally would doubt that.

Actually I just looked at the photo in more detail and it looks like the plywood shelf is still there, and only the teak trim fiddle has been removed. Assuming the settee pieces did not survive, building those is going to be the hard part.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Is this piece structural?
not any more...
In reality, you have curved fiberglass about 4 inches above it. That is going to provide rigidity to the hull. I would consider the bench below more structural because of its location. There really isn't any forces in that area.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@isaksp00
It has been years on a 23. I thought the forward V berth walls had a shelf tabbed onto the fiberglass hull with the carpet or mouse fir as called in the industry glued to the hull and shelf. Not sure if there was wood attached to the hull as I found that unusual. Can you or anyone confirm my suspicions.

Apr 27, 2010
My '91 does have shelves in v berth, what I meant above is that it is not one continuous shelf that goes through a slot in the bulkhead. The salon shelf and the v berth shelf pieces each only go up to the bulkhead. I noted that, as perhaps if each side were one long curved piece it might lean more towards a structural purpose. The plywood shelf is epoxied/ tabbed to the hull.

Apr 27, 2010
Also, dmosier, is the photo the v berth or salon? I don't see any evidence of the bulkhead piece to which the chain plate attaches, so I am now thinking it is the v berth. I doubt that those shelves in the v berth would add much support - they are not very wide.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Also, dmosier, is the photo the v berth or salon? I don't see any evidence of the bulkhead piece to which the chain plate attaches, so I am now thinking it is the v berth. I doubt that those shelves in the v berth would add much support - they are not very wide.
I believe that is looking rear where the "kitchen" is you can see the through hull for the sink

Sep 30, 2011
Hunter 23 Clarks Hill Lake
Thanks. Here are some updates and answers:

1. The picture is the port side salon. I have posted a new picture.
2. The carpet (Mouse Fur) has been removed so I could get to all of the rotten wood.
3. The Stringers were totally rotted out. I know I have to replace those in the same locations.
4. The plywood shelf is also rotten and will have to be removed. I am guessing it is not structural so I can move it around some but I want to be sure.
5. The boat is on the Hard for now. I plan to relaunch her later this year. I have some exterior work to do and I have to find the leak that rotted out all of the wood.

Port Side Settee.jpg

One additional question. I am planning on grinding out all of the tabbing for the stringers, settee, and shelf. Other than not grinding through the hull anything I should worry about?
Thanks!

Thanks

Apr 27, 2010
I can see a chain plate bulkhead in the newer photo. This is tabbed to the hull. I had to replace one of mine as it rotted and cracked. While you are doing all that work I would unbolt the chain plate and check both wood bulkheads. They may have rotted from same leak that caused other damage or through the slots in the deck. I sealed the edge of my replacement bulkhead with epoxy.

Apr 27, 2010
Why grind out the tabbing for the settees, why not use the glass "shelf" to support the replacement settee shelf?

Sep 30, 2011
I can see a chain plate bulkhead in the newer photo. This is tabbed to the hull. I had to replace one of mine as it rotted and cracked. While you are doing all that work I would unbolt the chain plate and check both wood bulkheads. They may have rotted from same leak that caused other damage or through the slots in the deck. I sealed the edge of my replacement bulkhead with epoxy.

I plan to take them out to be safe.

Sep 30, 2011
Why grind out the tabbing for the settees, why not use the glass "shelf" to support the replacement settee shelf?
My plan was to tab in n the new settee like the old one. I thought this would be a stronger install. Thoughts?

Sep 30, 2011
One more “one more question”

I was on the boat this evening. The boat is in the shop so no rain or other moisture. I dried out everything on Friday when I worked on the boat. Today there was some water in bilge area where the keel bolts are. Where could this come from?