Storage

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
hello everyone,
Please forgive me but I am a female and some things are more important to me than would be to my captain!!! Could someone please tell me about the storage on the 310? Of course my main concern is the galley. Places for food, utensils, plates....I know there are people that live on this boat so advice on storage would certainly be helpful. We haven't bought the boat yet but know this will be the boat we choose.

I appreciate your help,

Marilyn

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
Marilyn
What we do is:
1: Use the center cupboard for plates and bowls cups and glasses.
2: The other two we use stacking baskets for other items ie spices, package stuff etc.
3: Under the small sette is for the larger can goods ie spare pop, beer, dry food stuff
4: The pots are stored in the locker by the freezer, Husband cut the handles on 2 fry pans so they fit in the oven.
5:Large utensils are placed in a basket in one of the cupboards.

Hope this will help but you need to take your time as it took me 3 years before I found the right spots. and after 15 years still finding new homes for stuff.
Dona

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thanks so much! Did you remove the microwave and do you use a hanging rack?

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
What we use 75% of the time is a BBQ as m
icrowaves are only good if you have shore power and as we love to anchor , as for the hanging rack I use 1.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
The microwave will be removed. Where did you find the hanging rack? Is it the one for wine glasses?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
We kept the microwave, and can stack soup bowls, colander, larger serving bowls and fruit or veg inside the top bowl when no power is available. Sometimes it is convenient to mic when we have shore power, we just relocate the stack of stuff elsewhere else to cook with it. We also use the oven for a set of stacking pots and flat pans. We keep foil and saran wrap under stove in cutout (some folks have a fire extinguisher there, but ours is under the nav station). We use the dry locker in front of fridge for some can goods on bottom, crackers, fresh eggs, bread, chips, catch all and fragile stuff. We keep paper plates and bowls/ plastic utensils under the cabinets, and use stbd settee for backup can goods, paper products, etc. Under port settee is stuff we use less often. There are small openings behind the settees where we keep rags on port and dish towels on stbd.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Mirwin,

Have you gone our blog yet (in my signature). We removed the factory table and made a new table with draws below for canned and dried goods. We also have a Rubbermaid container in the aft berth full of canned goods. We hold about 6 months worth of food on the boat at any time.

The port settee storage is for alcohol and dog food.

No microwave, ditched it in Puerto Rico. We have lock and lock containers of flour, sugar, coffee, etc. In that area. The rear cabinet is cups and bowls. Plates go in the racks under the cabinets. The forward cabinet is empty lock and lock containers, tea and some spices. More spices in the cabinet over the port settee.

Silverware is in the storage on the side of the sink that was designed for it. Cooking utensils below that. We have stackable pots and pans, they are stored in the oven.

There is lots of room, you just have to think differently than in a house.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thanks...I will certainly keep you all posted! I know it's a learning process! I finally figured it out on our freedom 30, then sold the boat!!!

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
I have just returned from a 7 day trip where we were lucky to have a friend come along who was a professional chef - his comment was that surprisingly the galley had all the space required. He prepared and did all meals, at times using stove, oven and bbq simultaneously. We also supplemented storage with 2 mini hammocks for fresh fruits and veggies slung between the starboard settee and galley. As you can see, we also have a board that can go over the sink area, which also fits perfectly over the stove, to extend the working counter area.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Wow! Thank you so much. It must have been a real treat having a chef on board. Is that a marble piece over the sink? I have never seen that type of box wine...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It all depends on how and where you sail. Cooking while hanging out on the hook is very different than preparing meals when passage making. I would not ditch a microwave as they do come in handy at times and are easily run when away from shorepower with a inverter. They have a high power draw but the time of use is usually limited to a couple of minutes so the draw on the batteries is minimal. When on a trip we usually have meals when underway and we have found that cooking a good meal aboard is very inefficient. We cook meals at home the way we like them, freeze them and then just have to heat them aboard. A meal that may take over an hour to prepare might be enjoyed within minutes aboard the boat. Crack open a bottle of wine, fix a salad and have a full meal with minimum effort especially if the boat is heeling.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The admiral prepares meals in mason jars before we depart home. They are easy to store, and clean up is simple. Pinterest has hundreds of recipes.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Wow! Thank you so much. It must have been a real treat having a chef on board. Is that a marble piece over the sink? I have never seen that type of box wine...
Yes it was truly a privilege to have a chef. That granite slab looks nice but chef said it was too heavy and a PIA, so we have taken it off the boat and will replace with something with similar dimensions. He would chop and prep foods for the day in the morning and place them in the pans and pots etc. so that he could cook while the boat was heeled. However, most food was done at anchor. All protein was frozen pre departure...salmon, chicken, steaks. Many wonderful boxed wines these days...took a blindfold test to convince me.