Stern tube and Cutlass Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
I have a 331, 2004 vintage. I have 200 hours on her and she is lovingly kept. I am taking her out of the water this spring for a bottom job, hull wax , and if needed a cutlass bearing change. The 331 does not have an external strut for the Cutlass bearing. It is located in a fin off the hull. I am wondering if any others have changed this unit, and how difficult it was. Also if the tube in the housing needs to be changed as well. See the attached drawing.
Thanks in advanace for your help...

Weasel
FIRST LIGHT

Attachments

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Thanx much Chuck! I will see what she llok like whn I pull her out this spring. As to the Hobies, I really liked the old 18 wit the daggerboards held w/ bungee cords. Loved sailing in the surf in Destin, FL and off Galvaston, TX. Too old now...at least that what the wife says....

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
quick word of advice. one of the threads i read suggested putting the cutlass bearing in the freezer before installing it. This will cause it to contract and make it easier to install, a little lubricant would be a good idea as well. Without this it takes a while to get the bearing in place, take it from someone who should have taken the freezer advice.

JS

Status
Not open for further replies.