Sterling Pro Charge 0v/0a display. Don't panic!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I came out to the boat Saturday and found my new charger not charging and reading all zeros on the display. Batteries were almost dead. It had been working fine for the past 6 months. I thought the system was fried. Tried several things before I called Sterling. They sent me a link to a YouTube on the topic. It was specifically for the new units with the red cover. It must be a frequent occurrence to put out a video on it.
I don't know what I did, but it started to work again. Batteries recharged. Why it quit and why the batteries were so low is still a mystery. At least I won't panic if it happens again

This is a public service message...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’ve had this happen a couple times. Always the fans are running at 100%. I’ll view the video when I get bandwidth. Thanks

Les

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Wow that’s exactly what happened to my ProNautic 1250P. 0.1 v output at 0amps with the fan running full blast but charger cool. I just cycled the AC off for a minute then powered on and it seems to be okay, other than I killed a battery when it discharged too low. Charger will be 3years old in Sept. Thanks for sharing the video!
Dan

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Mine is only a few months old and I find this out? I have a remote panel and i did observe only the tenths V readout once. Panel voltmeter read a bit low on float...recycled power and it fired up and works normally. Was going to ask Maine about it but it fell off the radar....This is kinda disturbing. You dont know when its going to happen...Sterling should own up and replace these with a redesign and not some stupid process for a customer to try. Reinforces my views of todays engineering....I do understand the connectivity issue...But forcing it into the PS mode to get the charger working? Come on....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We think ours dropped offline because of a lightning storm that came thru. That's why my first instinct was that it fried. I'm glad all it took was a reset. Still, they shouldn't drop randomly. Sterling was really helpful Mark. You might talk to them.
My biggest concern is the battery drain. Is this failure doing it? If it reoccurs will it kill my batteries? I like to leave my AC on when we are gone to keep air circulating and the dehumidifier going. i suppose I could turn off the charger when we leave

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Mine is only a few months old and I find this out? I have a remote panel and i did observe only the tenths V readout once. Panel voltmeter read a bit low on float...recycled power and it fired up and works normally. Was going to ask Maine about it but it fell off the radar....This is kinda disturbing. You dont know when its going to happen...Sterling should own up and replace these with a redesign and not some stupid process for a customer to try. Reinforces my views of todays engineering....I do understand the connectivity issue...But forcing it into the PS mode to get the charger working? Come on....

I just dropped half a boat buck on one - losing my warm and fuzzy now...

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It hasn't happened on mine yet, but I often don't leave it energized when I'm away from the boat. I'm very curious about why batteries are discharged if you didn't leave any loads on?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
My biggest concern is the battery drain. Is this failure doing it? If it reoccurs will it kill my batteries? I like to leave my AC on when we are gone to keep air circulating and the dehumidifier going. i suppose I could turn off the charger when we leave
If you read any of my stuff dating back over the last 20 years or so you'll notice that I do not recommend leaving any AC or DC vessel loads on at the dock that rely on shore power. Marina wiring is historically unreliable when compared to land based systems. It is why the ABYC standards for AC boat wiring are so detailed and complex.

With high rates of outages, brown outs, reverse polarity, home made jury rig plugs & adapters made by boat owners who know anything about AC or marina wiring & voltage transients marina shore power really should not be relied on to "save your batteries"....

Today, with the newish NEC/NFPA land based regulations requiring ground fault protection for the marina service, outages are even more pronounced. This is only going to get worse, much worse, before it can get better. All it takes is one Daryl to plug in to the feed, with a non ABYC compliant shore power system, and the entire dock, finger pier or service is tripped for everyone on it. How many of those chargers will re-boot correctly after a fault/trip like this? How many of them are physically destroyed by these faults? Often times when the marina breaker is re-set every boat on that feed now draws full load power and trips it again, and again and again until the marina disconnects each boat and plugs them back in in a staggered fashion. If the guilty boat that caused the fault is still plugged in, the trips may occur dozens of times before the marina figures out which boat is causing the issue. None of this is good for any AC charge equipment.

Most invert chargers or smart battery chargers will simply not reboot if the battery voltage is too low. This is to prevent charging into an internally shorted/failed battery. If the outage is long enough, and you have on-board DC loads sucking at the battery, it can spell disaster for the bank. I replace thousands of dollars in destroyed batteries each year because an owner just wants a "cold beer" or fans on or lights on etc... I know many folks ignore my cautions, due to the "it won't happen to me" syndrome, until of course, it does.

There are really only a few solutions to marina power faults and those are:

*Don't plug in (safest and no risk of galvanically connecting your vessel to others in the marina)
*Plug in but install a low voltage disconnect that can be set to open at 12.1V or higher.
*Plug in but do not leave any DC loads on nor AC loads on especially if you have an automatic transferring inverter/charger..
*Add solar and a LVD.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Our marina provides independent electric service to each slip, individually metered by the power company. Very reliable.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Frankly, I'm too nervous to leave shore power plugged in when I leave, especially if I think it will rain. It's just a 15-amp metal service box with a cover plate that is disturbingly loose. I definitely un-plug before I use the water spigot!

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't leave any DC on except the bilge pump which never comes on. Circulating and dehumidifying is AC.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
*Plug in but install a low voltage disconnect that can be set to open at 12.1V or higher.
I installed a LVD on your recommendation and I feel a lot safer. Unfortunately I hired a marine electrician to do it this off season because I didn't have the time. We spent 10 days out and the LVD shut off my frig a few times yet my Smart Gage read 12.5v. It turns out the ME wired it to the pos bus behind the DP instead of running it to the battery so when multiple loads created voltage drop to 12.1 the frig would shut off. :banghead:

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Promariner tech support told me the CPU does not like having power interruptions during boot and can lock up, exhibiting the issue my pronautic p1250 had (post #3). He suggested to run the charger in power supply mode. It won’t shut off for the energy conservation mode (State of CA requirement). He also implied its mainly a power supply but the BC capability is there to be competitive. Got some reading to do to figure out how the PS mode won’t undercharge my FLAs if I set the PS to a float voltage of 13.4 v. I know Maine wrote about this somewhere...