Stereo/CD players--new technology; what's good?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
iTunes does it all the time.
______-

Mine too, but I didn't. Why?

Mine has a AUX input. I plug in a BluTooth Receiver into that.
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...93&sr=8-5&keywords=bluetooth+receiver+adapter

Now my iTunes links via Bluetooth to the OLD unit.
iTunes reads my old CD's and keeps them even "Shared" on all my iDevices.
_____
Ready for this, my Raymarine MFD links and lets me adjust the volume and selection at the Helm.:clap:

Jim...
The rear-speakers fader is out; no tunes in the cockpit. No option but to replace.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
just stream whatever you want from your phone
As my tech-savvy son says, “Own nothing. Have access to everything.” Subscribe to Apple's iMusic and stream almost any recording ever made from your iPhone to a Bluetooth-enabled player. Use your old CDs for skeet practice.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
Bluetooth saves running a lot of wires, and no need to drill holes and mount speakers. The Bose soundlink mini is reasonably priced and sounds great, runs off battery and can be recharged from a usb outlet.
No need for a "stereo" at all if you want to run it from an iPhone, amazon fire tablet or similar.
Sirius xm works well on my boat. I have a cheap receiver ( think it was $29 or so, Amazon sells them) and taped the little satellite receiver to the underside of the deck inside a cabinet. No holes and it works fine. you can get a bluetooth dongle for it too.
A side note and caveat - I get the 6 months for $25 package from Sirius. Beware they will try to auto renew at a higher rate if you leave them a credit card, best to insist on getting a bill in the mail.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
If you are required to go with DIN-sized radio, (i.e. the roughly 2x7 rectangular hole) I would strongly recommend the Sony DSXM55BT. It is an AM/FM Bluetooth unit and it has a USB input on the front of the receiver for thumbdrive playback. Here it is for $99.99 at Crutchfield: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QPUeFaAI2P3/p_158DSXM55B/Sony-DSX-M55BT.html A lot of radio for very little money!

If you have the freedom to go to a different form factor for the radio, the Kicker KMC2 is a round gauge-style unit that can be installed in the cockpit even if you like. It is IPX6 rated for full weather resistance and has a full sunlight-viewable display. It provides AM/FM Bluetooth performance as well as a rear access USB port that can be connected to an auxiliary USB port allowing phone charging and thumbdrive playback. It can be purchased at Crutchfield also.

For those who don't like cutting speaker holes, full-range tactile transducers are a great choice for mounting to the flat fiberglass panels below the cockpit seats. The tactile transducers turn the large flat panels into radiating surfaces and the performance is surprisingly good. 4-ohm versions can be had at Parts Express such as this one: https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...exciter-with-shielding-30mm-40w-4-oh--295-240
The nice thing about tactile transducers, especially the rare-earth neodymium-motor units is that they are magnetically self-shielding. You can glue them to the inside of the boat where they will stay dry, you get sound without cutting holes, and you don't mess with any of your compasses...

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We've upgraded to completely wireless Bluetooth hardware with speakers, iPhone or iPad, and 1 x 12V to USB charging port that has outlets for up to 4 devices. The AM/FM/CD/Auxilliary input box, hardwired speakers, power supply leads, fuse block, antennae, CD's, RCA jacks, micro jacks...all gone.

We pair up these portable UE Roll waterproof speakers with whatever handheld Bluetooth device we have on hand (even guests that bring along a playlist on their device) can pair with the rechargeable speakers (9 hours of playtime). The speakers can be "Paired or Doubled" up and the sound is awesome...even in a stiff breeze.

We do subscribe to Spotify, which allows direct and unlimited downloads to your handheld for a meager price...no need for cell or wifi connection while accessing your playlists while away from the dock.

The speakers mount just about anywhere. We hang them off the port and starboard sides of the stern rail:
UE Roll Speakers.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm a huge fan of Fusion gear, and have been ever since its introduction 7 years ago. Class-D amps, conformable circuit boards, great UI, BT and device connectivity. New units are NMEA2000 and can be controlled via a plotter.

My normal mode for my MS-RA70 is to have my phone attached via BT, but also have a 160Gig iPod Classic wired to the back. My iTunes library has 32,000 songs in it, so I'm covered both ways. In cell coverage, I can ask Siri to play a Zac Brown Band - inspired playlist. Out of coverage, I have pretty much every song known to man on board. Except mumble-rap. Hate that.

Seven years ago I made this video showing how the then brand-new MS-RA200 worked. STILL a great device.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
We also have a Fusion 750. In addition it plays Dvds.
All of my cds are ripped into mp3 files and loaded onto a ipod...which is plugged into a Fision docking station. Bluetooth capable also. XM ready.
A hard wired remote is at the helm, plus Fusion has an app allow ped control.
We love the system.
Don’t forget the sub!

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Although we have a radio I've found the sound on my Bose Mini II is hard to beat. It charges in a USB slot and is mobile. Sound great outside and even better inside. Best of all, we take it to the beach when anchor out. Runs a good six hours on a charge. I have 1250+ songs on an ipod and 500 + on my iphone. Pandora and Spotify too.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
If you have a smartphone then +1 for a unit with Bluetooth. Then you can just stream whatever you want from your phone - stored songs, Sirius XM app, radio station apps, podcasts, etc.
Very convenient but mobile streaming can eat into your data pretty quick. +1 for Sirius/XM Radio either built in or separately and connected to a Rear Aux jack. Great tunes and MLB coverage but not so great fidelity. But no worse than any audio file format other than lossless or uncompressed.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Very convenient but mobile streaming can eat into your data pretty quick. +1 for Sirius/XM Radio either built in or separately and connected to a Rear Aux jack. Great tunes and MLB coverage but not so great fidelity. But no worse than any audio file format other than lossless or uncompressed.

We currently use Spotify, about $10.00 per month or $120.00 per year, and it has been the best $10.00 per month I've ever spent. We like it much better than Amazon Prime music, which we also have or a paid iTunes subscription which we dropped in favor of Spotify..

Actually, we now have the Spotify family account for $14.99. Between my daughter, wife and myself we carry nearly 10,000 songs on our phones in off-line mode.. My iPad has another 3k songs or so as well. Spotify's off-line mode allows you to download when on wi-fi so no data is used. You can download your songs, playlists etc. and just store them on your phone or tablet or both.. To carry that much music in CD's would take up half our boat.....

I can't even count the sheer number of songs and playlists I've downloaded for off-line mode but suffice it to say it is days and days worth..... I just stream it to the stereo from where ever I am on the boat. We've not touched a CD since the first gen iPod came out, why would I. For critical listening, on the 2 chanel system, I play only SACD or vinyl.

On the stereo front just get one that has bluetooth, and a CD player if you really want to dust them off. No need for "marine" stereo if it is below deck. I see zero lifetime differences between so called "marine" stereos and car stereos for below deck use. I see just as many Fusion, Clarion Marine, Sony Marine, Kenwood Marine etc. fail as I do the $59.00 Wal*Mart stereo. The Kenwood Excelon on our boat is not a "marine" unit and I think I paid $69.00 for it on a Crutchfield sale.......

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The rear-speakers fader is out
Mine too!
Bought new speaker and new fader [L-pad]. $50;)
Jim...

PS: My cockpit "fader" was corroded and bypassed by the PO. So if I played some music in cabin it would blare to the neighbors from wide open cockpit speakers.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The problem with most Bluetooth receivers that plug into the aux port is that you have to switch them on manually
Hmmmm?
I have to switch all music on manually.;)

I think you meant you have to "manually Link" the bluetooth Aux Port BT receiver. If so, I just turn my BT receiver on when I switch on the Main Stereo. It auto links on my iDevices, after you give a one time permission.:) The biggest problem is to recharge the BT device, which I now solve by adding a back up battery pack on long cruise.

I solved mine biggest problem which was to make my Admiral Smile when she could drift off to sleep watching her favorite iTunes movie using the Apple TV on our boat's LCD TV, now in Capt Cabin stereo sound.:biggrin:

_____
My boat came with 4 pairs of top quality Speakers that were installed by Hunter to give best Stereo performance.
Each pair had its own volume control [L-pad]. Front Cabin, Main Salon, Capt cabin, Cockpit.

Thus keeping my top of the line quality Stereo FM/CD Marine Quality Amplifier and...

Adapt to newest technology

Each to his own needs, but annual subscription to music, not my thing.
Jim...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Obtained all my music for free from Youtube using a MP3 converter to extract the music file from the video clip. The converter downloads the music file to iTunes. From there I sync all my music files to the iPod the fam birthday gifted to me a few years ago. Easy peasy Japaneasy. When I'm on the boat the iPod plugs into the amplifier/receiver for whatever. Amazing amount of music and pictures (hundreds) that little device holds with two thirds capacity remaining.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Obtained all my music for free from Youtube using a MP3 converter to extract the music file from the video clip
Do you get stereo audio with that method?
I was thinking of buying a converter, mainly to turn long .mp4 into youtube, but it does convert both ways.
Jim...