Steering wheel nut

Sep 16, 2013
Hunter 43 Toronto
Newbie to the Hunter world here having just purchased a new (to me) 92 Legend 43. So on the inaugural cruise I wanted to show off the immense cockpit space by removing the steering wheel while docked for the evening...well king neptune was gracious enough to accept my offering of the wheel retaining nut never to be seen again. Fortunately the key remained so a little duct tape and the return voyage was accomplished safely though the lashing from the admiral still hurts.
I haven’t been able to find anything resembling the OEM one with the large dia and knurled finish. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Dave
Echo Beach, H43
Toronto

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, if you only want the nut, I guess you could go to a pipe fitting company and ask for a 3/4-10 nut. At lease we know the size and the TPI of the thread. I do like what @walmsleyc linked to, though rather pricey. But that is the nature of their business.

You might check SBO Store or @Dave Groshong to see if SBO has one or can get one for you.

Sep 16, 2013
Hunter 43 Toronto
I need to confirm the size. My initial measurement was 1” and I assumed 14 TPI. I can get a normal SS nut for 10 bucks from Fastenal, but looks like the nice one is going to cost me. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Minney's did have a box of Edson wheel nuts in the glass case to the left of the entrance where they keep jib cars and travelers, give them a call if that's the one you need. I saw one of the knurled ones there about 10 years ago that is on my boat now, but you might get lucky, call them.