State of the sailboat biz

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
People take their boats cruising around the world and get to Malaysia, New Zealand, Mexico and say..."my god, I'm not doing that again" then put the boat up for sale.
HahaI guess I expected a more complex answer than “people just abandon their sh*t”

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Good used boats with a reasonable price tag are hard to find near me. There is plenty of junk out there. There are plenty of storm damaged boats that have had a quick face lift. I even see guys asking top dollar for a boat that has core foam so wet that it squirts. Caveat Emptor.

The last boat I sold was put on Craig's list on a Friday morning. I had cash in pocket less than 6 hours later. I couldn't get the ad down fast enough. I had people trying to contact me about the boat for several days after that.

A lot of the larger, more expensive boats in my area, just sit in their slips & never seem to get used. Half to three quarters of the boats that I see when I go out, are the same ones all the time. They probably represent less than 5% of the boats that are kept in slips or on boat lifts in the area.

Different classes of boats are owned by different classes of people. There are different segments of the boat market that are in very different conditions right now.

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Here's an interesting statistic. I'm looking around at boats in the 35 to 40 foot range and I noticed there wasn't much available from the 90's.
I just searched Yachtworld for Sailboats, in Canada, 35 to 41 feet, fiberglass, from $10,000 to $100,000 built from 1979 to 1988; there are 64 listings.
The same search but change price range to $10k to $200k and the year range to 1989 to 1999 and there are only 29 listings.
I also checked price range $10k to $300k and years 2000 to 2010, there are 26 listings, about the same as the 90's.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
This past weekend I went to the in-water boat show in Sanctuary Cove, Brisbane Australia. There were very few new sailboats, about 20, and almost all power boats. Maybe because there are a couple of well known power boat manufacturers here, Riviera and Grand Banks to name 2. But many many 15' to 30' power boats and of course mega yachts. Beneteau had more power than sail at the show. Different country, different environment and I'm sure costly to rep your boat there, but as a sailor I was a bit disappointed. Did see a trawler that my wife really liked......I think that's how it starts.......
Cheers
dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@DaveJ Be careful that is a slippery slope your playing near.

Next thing you know you’ll be visiting RV dealers just to look.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Hi Justin, here is a quick surmise....I was Commodore in 1994....we had 194 families in our club, a few junior sailors and some instructors eager to teach...last year we had roughly 196 family units in our club...many more of these are youth sailors and some parents as well; .the Afterdeck was full of people for club Dinner on Sunday, from my perspective, Ninnescah YC's focus has changed quite a bit....some of us 'old' members forgot their ice and had to borrow from nice guys willing to share; they drive big Hunters.............thoughts....Patrick

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
This past weekend I went to the in-water boat show in Sanctuary Cove, Brisbane Australia. There were very few new sailboats, about 20, and almost all power boats. Maybe because there are a couple of well known power boat manufacturers here, Riviera and Grand Banks to name 2.
...At least the Grand Banks carries a sail.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This past weekend I went to the in-water boat show in Sanctuary Cove, Brisbane Australia. There were very few new sailboats, about 20, and almost all power boats. Maybe because there are a couple of well known power boat manufacturers here, Riviera and Grand Banks to name 2. But many many 15' to 30' power boats and of course mega yachts. Beneteau had more power than sail at the show. Different country, different environment and I'm sure costly to rep your boat there, but as a sailor I was a bit disappointed. Did see a trawler that my wife really liked......I think that's how it starts.......
Cheers
dj
The sailing market in OZ is one of the most vibrant in the world. It’s ironic, out of all the boat shows there every year, you picked a motorboat (mostly) boat show to attend!

https://sanctuarycoveboatshow.com.au/2018-sanctuary-cove-international-boat-show-launched/

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I haven't been in the boating business for 8 years now, I retired thank God. But wen I was it seemed to me that sailing consisted about 10% of the boating market. I still receive trade magazines (yea I now they kind of sugar coat everything) and according to there stats it seems that sailing is about 8% of the market.
I do believe it is changes in different parts of the country and world. So I guess I am giving a national average. Just a note all of the trade magazines I get are just U.S. numbers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Could that mean that only 8% of the public is smart enough to figure out how to make a boat move using the wind?

If so that would be a new demographic... The 8%'ers. The smart ones who harness the wind.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I'm not sure being smart has much to do with it, just willing to put in the extra effort and patience. Sailing is more work and slower. Also more rewarding and peaceful.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
The sailing market in OZ is one of the most vibrant in the world. It’s ironic, out of all the boat shows there every year, you picked a motorboat (mostly) boat show to attend!

Hey, when you're 15,056 kilometers from home, you go where the wind takes you, especially if you're an 8%er......
Any boat show is a good Sunday afternoon. I've been in NZ and OZ for over 3 months, working, heading home first week of July.....I'm having a friend get my boat ready and in the water a week before I come home. Last time I saw it there was a foot of snow on the tarps, so.... even the power boats looked great!
Favorite sailboat at the show? Hanse 38. For my purposes, it beats the Bene's.

Cheers
dj

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I'm not sure being smart has much to do with it, just willing to put in the extra effort and patience. Sailing is more work and slower. Also more rewarding and peaceful.
I like your interpretation of the 8%'ers! I find that to be exactly what sailing is. Can I get credit for creating the phrase 8%'ers???