StarGazer P-18 Now Has a Symmetrical Spinniker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2011
1985 Pearson 303 Pearson 303 RockPort,ME
Hi! All! After my modifications to my centerboard and replacing my CBJoint. I decided to test a spinnaker on my 1985 P-18. Wow! It was cool. I didn't have a rolling furling so I automated the jib so from the cockpit I can now lower my jib without walking to the bow. Now back to the spinnaker. We started our test very early in the morning to make sure the winds were only 2-3 knots with gusts.. Yet when I pulled up the the sail POW! we were doing 2.4+ knots. Usually in wind like this it always felt like, we were not going anywhere fast.. Now! we can go great. I recommend you find on on the net and give it a go.

Happy Sailing!
MrStarGazer

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's awesome! In the 2nd picture it looks like the pole is one the wrong side; it should always be on the windward side.

But your are right, it totally transforms going downwind. Have fun!

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
Looks good, there is a more active Precision group over on the sister forum

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/precision/index.cgi

You might want to post your modifications there. There been some discussion on spinnakers. You said you modified the CB and replaced the bracket. What was the modification?

Also, welcome to forum, good to see some more New England Precision owners.

Tom G

Jun 3, 2011
1985 Pearson 303 Pearson 303 RockPort,ME
P-18 boat lift and (CB) for the bigger spinnaker speeds

That's awesome! In the 2nd picture it looks like the pole is one the wrong side; it should always be on the windward side.

But your are right, it totally transforms going downwind. Have fun!
Thanks Jackdaw! The problem I was running into with the spinnaker was the vessel kept on going airborne the weight and draw was too YoYo ish meaning Up down Up down. I added 50 lbs to my keel and it hurt the speed and caused the (CL) to change which put me back to square one again. So! I decided to make some modifications to the hull and CB to bring the boat back down in the water more affecting the rise while underway.

The P-18 with a
LWL- 15' 5"
DRAFT, Board up -1' 6"
DRAFT, Board down - 4' 3"

This has not changed. However, what has changed is the keel's position or angle towards bow to the keel with keeping its width. this changed the rise (Lift) during movement in water. I added about a 10 to 12 deg incline meeting the bottom of the current fixed keel thus; taking the (Plow affects) away while underway or moving in water. the first change I made was to bring the Center edge forward making it thinner rather the rounded edge, thus giving me an extra 1 to 2 knots speed under normal conditions of sailing. After making the changes I added the spinnaker 6 inches above the forward halyard that is used for the jib currently. Now added a used Symmetrical Spinnaker with luff approx: 18' and away we went..LOL It really worked out great! With even great control and the added little drag from the new keel angle and centerboard we picked up allot of speed and just the right amount of lift for our application and needs.
Some times we use the spinnaker as a gennaker is similar to the spinnaker as well as the genoa. It is used when sailing downwind, although it can be sailed upwind if necessary. The gennaker is often found on racing boats too!
I do however think that just adding a spinnaker will give you lots of joy! especially on the NO WIND DAYS...LOL
P.S. Photo's comming later
Capt. Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.