Starboard deck (?) leak

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
The second starboard portlight (from front) on my Catalina 36 has a long-standing habit of collecting water inside the inner groove, under the rubber gasket. I have done everything thinkable to seal it, still cannot figure out how water gets inside that groove. It dripped onto the starboard table and is salty, so clearly came from at least our last sail (which had water over the bow). I thought the chainplate might be the culprit, checked with Creeping Crack Cure, but the chain plate is fine, no sign of leaking. Tapping the deck all around, everything sounds solid, no evidence of softness. I've sealed the outer handholds and tightened the bolts on deck for the inner handholds.
1. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can these two be related? 2. How does water get inside that window frame? 3. Where in the heck is that leak coming from? Somewhere farther "upstream"?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Catalina 30-1978 Avalon, CA
I am looking to a 1987 C34 and it seems that same kind of water marking on starboard side just a little below than yours but basically at the same spot. Tomorrow we'll be doing a survey and hopefully we'll find out what causing it. If we do, I'll let you know.