ST4000+ replacement belt identification

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Hey All,
I need help identifying the correct belt for this. I see a lot of D169 "For MK1 black housing only" and "18083 for MK2 grey housing only". I don't know if mine is MK1 or MK2, and the housing looks grey to me, but when I showed someone a photo they told me it's D169. I'm confused.
Which one do I need? Thank you!
wheeldrive belt.jpg

The problem I am trying to correct is slippage. It started slipping and adjusting the tension hasn't helped at all. If I keep my hand on it and prevent the slippage it will stay on course, but what kind of Auto-Pirate is that?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Your best bet is likely to call Autohelm directly and ask. Yours from the housing definatly looks grey (not just a faded black). Do you have the Manual for the unit? Here is what I can find online but I would be sure to call Autohelm.
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/serviceguides/autohelmst4000.pdf
When I had one of these units the Slipping I had was due to a worn out lever to engage the belt. However check that the teeth of the belt are not smooth and that the cogs on each end are still in good shape. Should be easily solved with a phone call though.

Jun 2, 2014
Thanks, I did some more digging yesterday and think I figured it out:
MK1 = Black Cover = D169 Belt
MK2 = Grey Cover = A18083 Belt

Here's a pic out of the MK2 Manual that is what I have.
MK2 Wheel Drive.PNG

I found an aftermarket belt for $16 on Amazon. We'll see how it works out.
I'll also check the engage lever.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Glad you got it sorted out. I lived on my C30 for about 5 years and broke the engaging lever while working at Two Harbors one summer. It was an easy fix with a new lever and spring pin. Hope it all works out and enjoy your Autopilot. I'm back to a tiller boat and I am too cheap to install an autopilot on it. It just doesn't make much sense with the small lakes I sail on but I miss sitting back and reading a book while the miles passed under the keel.

Jun 2, 2014
It worked out nicely! Took a while to receive the part, I didn't realize it was shipping from Norway...
It was an original part, fit perfect, so that along with a new belt, I think i'm good! I haven't taken it out yet, but I have total confidence that I'm back in business. I was able to adjust the tension perfectly.
I am saving the old part though and going to "fix" it for an on-hand spare.