Spreadsheets? Do any of you use them to track your expenses?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Some people are obsessed with tracking everything. These people are called "power boaters." You are a sail boater. Take a breath. Relax. Go for a sail and enjoy yourself. Wonder at the magic of sailing. Ignore the cost charts. If you total your costs and divide by the number of times you sailed each season, it will make your crazy.
Well, it's not just about tracking costs. The spreadsheets are useful to organize research and make decisions on how to spend your money. Obviously, prices are just a component in the decision-making.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I started out logging my sailing expenses, including assigning each expense to a certain category, but I quickly gave that up. See Posts 1-21 for the reasons, I understand them all.
I do however have a very limited budget allowed for this, my first sailboat. That is so I'll have enough money to buy the second sometime in the near future. So, everytime I think of spending money on the boat, I not only think about what it will cost me today, but also what I could buy with that money if I had invested it for 5 years. Then I ask myself which purchase will make me happier? I've averted quite a few purchases with this technique.
So, if you want to learn how to really use spreadsheets, learn how to do compound interest calculations (available and easy in Excel) and run them before you spend money.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I downloaded a BIGLY YUGE spreadsheet from a C320 skipper once. It had more tabs than anything the Pentagon could have come up with! :) Sometimes it gets way overboard (pun intended!:)). Do what you think you need and build from there.

Hafa

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 40.5 Saipan
Our boat is one of the most rare types on the planet: the property of a successful partnership. One reason for this extraordinary success if the fact that time spent on maintenance (as a function of cost; hours * dollars) and the costs of licensing, slip fees and materials is tracked on a spreadsheet. I have a few simple formulas that calculate the totals spent by each partner and then derive the percentage of contribution for each. We keep it simple by just looking at the grand total from the day of purchase to the present. We each then know where we stand at a given time.

I find knowing the costs to be very helpful for budgeting expenses into the future. This helps us ensure that funds are available for both minor, frequent expenses, such as slip fees and for major, infrequent expenses like haul outs and the replacement of rigging.

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
I do, and like someone else posted, it can be discouraging when you see all the costs down in black and white. Oh where oh where did all the money go?!!!