Spinnaker Setup on a catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to pick up a used symetrical spinaker at a good price. I was thinking about geting it as I would like to improve my downwind performance but quite frankly, I don't want to have to re-rig the boat to fly this one sail. My question for you is, if I pick this sail up, can I safely use the Jib Halyard to hoist the spinnaker, and use my jib winches to trim it. I know I will need around an 8' spinnaker pole which I can attach to the mast (there is already a ring installed) possibly run a downline from the pole to the base of the mast. So, does anyone who already flys a spinnaker on a catalina 22 or have experince doing so think that this could be done safely? What is the difference with the mast head truck designed for flying a spinnaker aside from a halyard designed especailly for the spinnaker.

B

Bayard Gross

You should use a spinnaker crane

The jib halyard runs inside the forestay. As such, the head or top of the spinnaker will run up against the forestay and the sail will not set properly and possibly badly chafe. Not to mention that a jibe will be nearly impossible. A spinnaker crane with a block attached to it will ride up and over the forestay. A spinnaker halyard is run through the block. Fortunately, Catalina Direct makes a drop in spinnaker crane for the C-22, which makes installation of the crane much easier than that on other vessels. Please see link below. You will also require a track and car mounted in the front of the mast as the whisker pole ring is probably much too low for spinnaker use. I also think that your pole may need to be much more than eight feet, closer to twelve to thirteen feet. While you are trying to get a symmetric spinnaker, which is used for racing, you might find yourself happier with a cruising or asymmetrical spinnaker that has its tack attached closely to the bow and does not require a pole. Along with a spinnaker crane, this is like a huge genoa, which while not as good as a symmetric spinnaker for downwind work, will perform well on a reach. Nevertheless, you probably should go ahead and get the spinnaker if it is a very good deal, and then just be patient while you wait to get and install the crane, tack, car, and long pole. http://catalinadirect.com/spinnaker%20crane%20C-22.html

Status
Not open for further replies.