Spinnaker on a B & R rig

Aug 2, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Kaufman Texas
Can anybody out there reassure me, crazy Dave, that it is OK to fly a spinnaker on the BNR rig? Do you need to leave the main up for mainsheet support?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Until Dave checks in, I would not worry one bit about flying a chute on your boat's rig.
Are you getting an A-sail?
This should really help with the Light Air common near Oly..... (and much of the Sound Sound.)
:)

Aug 2, 2016
Yeah, I have a symmetrical with the chute but I usually sail alone. Contemplating a code zero on a roller. I just sometimes wonder about it since there is no backstory.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
IF concerned, with main down, tighten topping lift and cinch with mainsheet..

Aug 2, 2016
So funny you say that, I just purchased a boom kicker with plans to Eliminate the topping lift. I suppose I could use a spare halyard. Just wondering if it's necessary or not?

Aug 2, 2016
That is a good idea though. But really I would only be doing it in pretty light breezes, especially single handing.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
That is a good idea though. But really I would only be doing it in pretty light breezes, especially single handing.
Your rig was designed to put equivalent tension on the forestay compared to a conventional backstay rig. Engineering should not be a problem. Other fractional-rig boats with swept spreaders (like the J-24, to name only one) use their swept stays to tension the headstay and then use the BS more to bend the mast for shaping the main.
If the wind/weather is gnarly enough to bring down your rig, your choice of a larger or smaller headsail will seldom be the deciding factor... :(

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
on these rigs (without a back stay)I would suggest that the spinnaker halyard does not attach to the mast any higher than the stays (I.e. The hounds)

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
on these rigs (without a back stay)I would suggest that the spinnaker halyard does not attach to the mast any higher than the stays (I.e. The hounds)
Good point, Fred. We sailed a 23.5 for the last 10 seasons but never really contemplated an asym. It was just too much work to contemplate and too little room below to stow when not in use.

However, we moved up to an H27-3 this season, and the larger rig features a B&R sweep much further aft. That makes me concerned about the lack of room to set out the boom on downwind runs, and thus has me thinking hard about an asym. She's got a messenger line to add a spin halyard, and I was just looking at my mast yesterday wondering where there exit sheave was: at the top of the forestay or top of mast.

Of course, it might help to get some miles under her keel first so we can learn what she can do. The first of July and the weather has been so crappy, we haven't been out once! However, we do enjoy having so much more room down below that we have probably spent more time on her than at comparable points in prior years!

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
I asked a similar question a couple of years ago and received unanimous agreement that the rig could take it.
Tim
Tim, does it fly from the top of the mast?

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
No, the Spinnaker halyard exits the mast about 12 to 18 inches above the forestay connection point

Tim

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Call Selden and the tech will kinda chuckle about the "can it take the force" question. They told me they "routinely" pull my 41 over onto her side till the deck is awash by the halyard just to prove the stability of the B&R rig. I fly 1200 SF of Asym dragging a 27,000lb. hull around on my rig. They are of course sized appropriately to the hull size and so your square footage and weight will be much less.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Kermit, love that war of northern aggression spinnaker. :D
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. The palmetto tree was added to our state flag before that war. It apparently was our national flag briefly. The biggest controversy is over the crescent. Most refer to it as a crescent moon but it wasn't originally intended to be one. Interesting stuff.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_South_Carolina

Attachments