Registered users don't see ads

Spininlock tiller extension

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by LakeShark, Jan 12, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    316 posts, 98 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota
    Just curious has anyone here tried one of these on a Catalina 22 or similarly sized trailer sailor?
    How is the mounting and is my tiller wide enough?

https://www.westmarine.com/outlet/b...r-extension-2-3-feet--P012564605?pCode=161328

The price seems decent and I just cant swallow the cost for the forespar. I also really don't want to make my own. So I go to the internet forum and ask what say you!

Uses will be day sailing and some casual racing. The goal is to allow me to reach the cabin top winches and still maintain a handle on the tiller as well as for hiking.

2. Dave Groshong

Dave Groshong SBO Staff Staff Member

Joined Jan 25, 2007
    1,262 posts, 73 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Seattle
    Yes, those are excellent, and that is a great price.

3. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,380 posts, 318 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    On my previous boat- a 21 footer, I made my own

Attached Files:

4. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,433 posts, 317 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Google "tiller extension" for more options. Save money with a fixed length model. Measure with a yard stick from your most likely position in the cockpit that you'll need it. Learn to steer with tiller between your knees or get a "tiller tamer" so you can have both hands free when working the winches.
    Btw, a tiller extension is a basic piece of equipment on a tiller equipped sailboat... I use mine all the time when sitting on the coaming. Better mobility and visibility for the helmsman.

5. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,541 posts, 1,835 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Tiller Tamer of a Tiller Clutch. Both are good ways to give you an extra hand in the cockpit.
    I opted for the tiller clutch. http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/ It is simple to install. Easy to use. Out of the way so it does not catch on things. I'd set it up and balance the sails. I could step out to the bow of my Montgomery15 and ride for hours. If I wanted to change course a little I'd lean to one side. The boat would vary the course up to 10 degrees either direction and not need additional modifications in the cockpit.

6. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,768 posts, 2,100 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Tiller extensions and tiller locks have two different purposes. For what you describe you need a lock. You'll never get to your cabin top winches with an extension, and unless they are self-tailers you will need two hands anyway.

As for the two different tiller locks, I wrote a review of then a few years back.

http://rarerarebird.blogspot.com/2015/09/of-pilots-tamers-and-clutches.html

7. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,541 posts, 1,835 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    @Jackdaw, Liked your descriptions of the tiller options... The BMW analogy was a great one.
    I too liked the Tiller Clutch for all the same reasons. Like boats in general. It is the owners and one solution does not fit all folks.

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.