Registered users don't see ads

Spininlock tiller extension

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by LakeShark, Jan 12, 2018 at 7:37 AM. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    254 posts, 56 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota Minnesota
    Just curious has anyone here tried one of these on a Catalina 22 or similarly sized trailer sailor?
    How is the mounting and is my tiller wide enough?

https://www.westmarine.com/outlet/b...r-extension-2-3-feet--P012564605?pCode=161328

The price seems decent and I just cant swallow the cost for the forespar. I also really don't want to make my own. So I go to the internet forum and ask what say you!

Uses will be day sailing and some casual racing. The goal is to allow me to reach the cabin top winches and still maintain a handle on the tiller as well as for hiking.

2. Dave Groshong

Dave Groshong SBO Staff Staff Member

Joined Jan 25, 2007
    1,171 posts, 41 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Seattle
    Yes, those are excellent, and that is a great price.

3. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,251 posts, 235 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    On my previous boat- a 21 footer, I made my own

Attached Files:

4. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,207 posts, 215 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Google "tiller extension" for more options. Save money with a fixed length model. Measure with a yard stick from your most likely position in the cockpit that you'll need it. Learn to steer with tiller between your knees or get a "tiller tamer" so you can have both hands free when working the winches.
    Btw, a tiller extension is a basic piece of equipment on a tiller equipped sailboat... I use mine all the time when sitting on the coaming. Better mobility and visibility for the helmsman.

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!